Thanks!

  • Dick Weeks
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2002
      Since I have been pretty much of a b_tt in the last few posts I have made, I would like to say thanks to all of you that have visited my website this past year.  I just reviewed the stats for my website.  I know that some of you might have found your way to this group by just following a search engine to a Civil War discussion group, but I think the vast majority of you got here via my website and for that I thank you.  Here is why I am giving my thanks.  For the past year (ending the last day of October), the site has had 15,554,837 hits.  If you break that down to actual visits (Taking out the hits because of the image files) that comes to 12,556,645 visits!  Lordy! There are few commercial sites that get this kind of traffic.  This is excluding the month of May which my "site stat calculator" registered as "0".  I don't know what happened but the calculator seemed to have just dropped that beauty.  Anyway, you show me another privately owned, privately financed, no commericals, no nothing, Civil War site that gets that kind of traffic and I will kiss your b_tt on the square of Richmond and give you thirty minutes to draw a crowd :-)  I do thankee all. It seems that with these numbers to look at, all the long hours researching questions that I get, monitoring this discussion group, listening to my good wife, of almost 45 years, saying that I spend entirely too much time with this stuff, and walking Belle the Dog on the battlefields, might just be worth it.  Thanks a LOT!!

      Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
    • carlw4514
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2002
        Congratulations, Shotgun, that is an impressive number of visitors.
        Some of those hits every month are mine as I do use your site for
        research. I take it you get no financial bonus for the number of hits,
        and I wonder if that is fair. At our house we spend some $240 a year
        to get internet service and at work I have heard we spend $1200 a
        MONTH for DSL -- and it is a small company! I have always suspected a
        lot of these free things -- free email etc. -- gets paid for somehow
        out of all this money. It would only be fair that you got a piece of
        the action!
        As for being a b-tt, I think everyone here knows that this is a great
        site because you can count on someone making everybody walk the line.
        So go ahead and "butt" in -- but take it easy on some of us who are
        going through the posts replying without having reached the "hooked"
        message -- I think that happens quite a bit.
        Thanks again,
        Carl

        --- In civilwarwest@y..., "Dick Weeks" <shotgun@c...> wrote:
        > Since I have been pretty much of a b_tt in the last few posts I have
        made, I would like to say thanks to all of you that have visited my
        website this past year. [...]
      • Tom Gilbert
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2002

          Dick: My thanks to you for providing such a great site and such a great discussion group .. although I don't participate as much as I would like to, I greatly enjoy this group .. most of all, I again thank you for posting my Confederate Arizona article on your site about a year ago .. I have placed the link on my resume and hopefully it will help me in my search for a post-retirement position in teaching or researching .. it's one thing to say I have published articles in magazines that are now out of print, quite another to be able to give someone a link and bingo, there it is .. I cannot thank you enough for giving me this opportunity.

          Tom Gilbert

           Dick Weeks <shotgun@...> wrote:

[...]

          Do you Yahoo!?
          HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now