Re: Slaves fighting for Confederacy

  • Will
    Message 1 of 49 , Nov 1, 2002
      One book I have (Lossing's Pictorial History) states that when Lovell
      was pulling his troops out of N.O., the Native Guards refused to
      follow his orders and they stayed behind to welcome Butler. Can you
      comment on the accuracy of this?

      --- In civilwarwest@y..., "slippymississippi"
      <slippymississippi@y...> wrote:
      > --- In civilwarwest@y..., FLYNSWEDE@A... wrote:
      > > In a message dated 11/1/2002 10:31:13 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      > > slippymississippi@y... writes:
      > >

      > > > This unit was never a part of the Confederate Army.
      > > >

      > > I believe they were a contingency of the Louisiana State Militia
      >
      > The Native Guards fought in three engagements: Port Hudson,
      Mansura,
      > and Mobile... all on the side of the Union.
      >
      > While there was an attempt by the Confederacy to use these troops
      > counter Northern propaganda, their service in the Confederate Army
      > was refused. Not a single member of the Native Guards was a slave.
    • Dick Weeks
      Message 49 of 49 , Nov 1, 2002
        This subject has been hooked. Trust me, I will see no more of it.

        Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
        http://www.civilwarhome.com