Re: [civilwarwest] HOOKING - Slaves fighting for the Confederacy

  • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2002
      Shotgun,
      I just read your message as well.  Even though I believe that the discussion has been in accordance to the rules of the Discussion Group, I will respect your wishes reluctantly.  I firmly believe that if we do not discuss argumentive and reluctant topics such as Blacks fighting for the South,  that part of history will be swept under the rug.  As long as we keep it in reference to the Civil War Western Theater,  I personally see it as an enhancement to learning and knowledge.  Perhaps we should say to Hell with Political Correctness and look at this topic through a different color of glass.

      In this deceitful world, nothing is true or false.  It is all according to the color of the glass through which it is seen.

      Wayne

      PS  The knee replacement surgury went well and now am recuperating fine even though I am having withdrawl symptoms from golf.
    • hvonbork@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2002
        Shotgun and Pat-
             Thank you for your appropriate timing.
                       Jack
      • Dick Weeks
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2002
          Wayne, I would remind you that once a subject has been "hooked" neither that subject nor its reason for being hooked is open for discussion in the group.  If you would like to challenge a moderator's hooking a subject please do so by private email. I took the liberty in my previous email, which I don't normally do,  to explain why subjects like that are not permitted.  I'm not going to disagree that subjects such as these need to be discussed, they just aren't going to be discussed in this group.

          Glad to hear about the surgery going well.  I can't speak for "golf" withdrawal but I am certainly having battlefield withdrawal.  It rained almost the entire month of October here in the battlefield country of Northern Virginia and October is the month that I like to stomp the fields the most.  It is no longer too hot to enjoy it nor has it turned cold yet.  Also, Belle Boyd, my chocolate lab, gets a bit cranky when she don't get to go.  I think the "unfinished railroad" at Manassas is her favorite.  She's not too wild about Antietam because I won't let her swim in the creek.  She just gets too "stinky" for that long ride home when she goes swimming.

          Folks, I hope I am clear about the discussions in the group.

          Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 1, 2002
            While I respect the moderators wishes, I would like to add
            my small voice of dissent to their decision. This is an issue
            about which a great deal of mis-information exists, and one
            which in my experience can be discussed w/o the flamage so
            often associated with slavery and "causes" issues. I would
            have preferred that the moderators disciplined individual
            posters as (if) they got out of line, or reined in the
            discussion if it wandered East. But, to repeat, I will
            respect their decision and simply wanted to voice my
            dissent in this single post.

            However, it must be said that most of the "evidence" that
            I am familiar with (on either side) does come from The
            Other Theatre <g>, and so would be off-topic on those grounds.
            JFE