Re: HOOKING - Slaves fighting for the Confederacy

  • Henry Sibley
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2002
      --- In civilwarwest@y..., "P. B. Jones" <jones@p...> wrote:
      > (3) limit the discussions to the Western Theater only. Broad subjects
      > such as slavery and states rights are off limits.
      >
      > Respectfully requesting we get back to WESTERN theater.

      I've avoided joining in this discussion but would ask one question. If
      notes are posted relative to blacks who fought or served in some other
      fashion for the Confederacy in the Western Theater, would that not meet
      the board's criteria? For example, Private Lufroy Pierre-Auguste of the
      16th Louisiana Infantry Regiment was a free man of color who fought in
      several battles before his discharge.
    • Dick Weeks
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2002
        If the discussion could be confined to just that, I would have no problem
        with it. However, I think that would be an impossibility. It would
        gradually creep around into the same type discussion that was just hooked.
        Therefore all discussions of this nature are banned. The previous
        discussion was most civil and I learned a lot, and I thank everyone for
        that, but it became clear that it was going nowhere and the circle was
        starting to form. Therefore it was terminated.

        The reason that we don't allow discussions of this type is not because they
        are not interesting nor have a lot to do with the war. They are most
        certainly interesting and were a part of the war. There has been many a
        time after a battlefield tour when we have sat around having a cool one that
        the subjects of causes, slavery, Blacks in gray, etc. were a part of the
        discussion and I found them extremely interesting and enlightening.
        However, a face to face discussion is far different than reading someone's
        written comments. Face to face one can see the facial expressions and hear
        the voice inflections, this is not possible when writing. During an email
        discussion, the most casual of comments can cause a great deal of heartburn,
        whereas if that same comment were made in a face to face discussion chances
        are it would probably not even require an acknowledgement.

        Anyway, I hope everyone understands. Now back to our regular programming.

        Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
        http://www.civilwarhome.com

      • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2002
          In a message dated 11/1/2002 1:31:31 AM Eastern Standard Time, jones@... writes:

          (3) limit the discussions to the Western Theater only. Broad subjects
          such as slavery and states rights are off limits.

          Respectfully requesting we get back to WESTERN theater.

          Thank you.

          Pat

          Pat,
          With respect, the discussion has not been slavery, but blacks fighting for the Confederacy.  If you read back, the list of blacks that applied for pension given by LilSteve was from the State of Tennessee Archives.  Also other posts list Texas units that had blacks fighting alongside of whites which again refers to CW West topics.

          If you are censuring us because we are talking about blacks and automatically connect that with slavery issues, you are respectfully way off base and thus stiffens knowledge that can be gained about the Civil War that occured in the Western Theater.  One cannot disregard that blacks did fight for the Confederacy no matter what today's political correctness dictates.

          Your obedient servant,

          Wayne C. Bengston
        • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 1, 2002
            Shotgun,
            I just read your message as well.  Even though I believe that the discussion has been in accordance to the rules of the Discussion Group, I will respect your wishes reluctantly.  I firmly believe that if we do not discuss argumentive and reluctant topics such as Blacks fighting for the South,  that part of history will be swept under the rug.  As long as we keep it in reference to the Civil War Western Theater,  I personally see it as an enhancement to learning and knowledge.  Perhaps we should say to Hell with Political Correctness and look at this topic through a different color of glass.

            In this deceitful world, nothing is true or false.  It is all according to the color of the glass through which it is seen.

            Wayne

            PS  The knee replacement surgury went well and now am recuperating fine even though I am having withdrawl symptoms from golf.
          • hvonbork@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 1, 2002
              Shotgun and Pat-
                   Thank you for your appropriate timing.
                             Jack
            • Dick Weeks
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 1, 2002
                Wayne, I would remind you that once a subject has been "hooked" neither that subject nor its reason for being hooked is open for discussion in the group.  If you would like to challenge a moderator's hooking a subject please do so by private email. I took the liberty in my previous email, which I don't normally do,  to explain why subjects like that are not permitted.  I'm not going to disagree that subjects such as these need to be discussed, they just aren't going to be discussed in this group.

                Glad to hear about the surgery going well.  I can't speak for "golf" withdrawal but I am certainly having battlefield withdrawal.  It rained almost the entire month of October here in the battlefield country of Northern Virginia and October is the month that I like to stomp the fields the most.  It is no longer too hot to enjoy it nor has it turned cold yet.  Also, Belle Boyd, my chocolate lab, gets a bit cranky when she don't get to go.  I think the "unfinished railroad" at Manassas is her favorite.  She's not too wild about Antietam because I won't let her swim in the creek.  She just gets too "stinky" for that long ride home when she goes swimming.

                Folks, I hope I am clear about the discussions in the group.

                Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)

              • Jfepperson@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 1, 2002
                  While I respect the moderators wishes, I would like to add
                  my small voice of dissent to their decision. This is an issue
                  about which a great deal of mis-information exists, and one
                  which in my experience can be discussed w/o the flamage so
                  often associated with slavery and "causes" issues. I would
                  have preferred that the moderators disciplined individual
                  posters as (if) they got out of line, or reined in the
                  discussion if it wandered East. But, to repeat, I will
                  respect their decision and simply wanted to voice my
                  dissent in this single post.

                  However, it must be said that most of the "evidence" that
                  I am familiar with (on either side) does come from The
                  Other Theatre <g>, and so would be off-topic on those grounds.
                  JFE
                • CMcC Price
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 1, 2002
                    Sorry to have opened this can of worms.