Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Slaves fighting for Confederacy

  • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 49 , Nov 1, 2002
      In a message dated 11/1/2002 12:28:30 AM Eastern Standard Time, Aurelie1999@... writes:

      Somehow black confederates legitimizes slavery by claiming that blacks were contented enough to fight for it.

      Connie,
      This topic has been discussed many times not only by us amateurs, but also by noted historians.  The best answer to this I have heard was that these black confederates also believed it was wrong for the Union to invade their homeland and would fight to protect it.  State loyalty was extremely strong not only for whites but to blacks as well. Today, too many of us think that all blacks in the South were slaves but in reality, many were free blacks.  The amount of free blacks also depended on the State that they were from for some reason. (e.g.  there were alot more free blacks in Louisiana than there were in Mississippi).

      Wayne
    • Dick Weeks
      Message 49 of 49 , Nov 1, 2002
        This subject has been hooked. Trust me, I will see no more of it.

        Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
        http://www.civilwarhome.com