Re: Reb RR trivia question

  • josepharose
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 28, 2002
      Didn't Stonewall Jackson add to the Confederate rolling stock with a
      rather ingenious ruse early in the war? IIRC, he allowed the
      Federal trains (on the B&O?) to run at certain restricted times and
      then, when they were all bunched together, went and seized them and
      dragged them all away.

      Joseph

      --- In civilwarwest@y..., "aot1952" <aot1952@y...> wrote:
      > There were a couple of huge economic factors that seriously
      impacted
      > the Confederacy's rail capabilities. First at the beginning of the
      > war the Southern railroads like almost all of the South's limited
      > manufacturing were under-capitalized. The manufacturing sector was
      no
      > different than the southern agricultural sector it was CASH poor.
      No
> [...]
      who
      > placed more and more heavy and destructive demands on their
      limited
      > non-replaceable rolling stock. Another less talked about factor in
      > Northern Railroad development was that many well placed War
      > Department officials were in places to do many of the rail roads
      alot
      > of financial good. Lincoln's first Secrtary of War was Cameron and
      > his ties to the up to the Civil War struggling Pennsylvania Rail
      > Road have always been very interesting. General Fremont's rather
      > generous dealings with several railroads has also always been an
      > interesting source of speculation.
      > Even assuming that Southern Railroads somehow could raise the cash
      > needed to buy replacement equipment there simply was none to be
      had
      > or built in the confines of the Confederacy. No manufacturing
      > facilities existed in the south to build a locomotive or even
      freight
      > cars. Conversely the North had no less than five builders of
      various
      > types and sizes of locomotives:
      > Baldwin and Company, Philadelphia
      > Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Shops Baltimore
      > William Mason, Tauton, Mass.
      > New Jersey Locomotive Works, Paterson, NJ
      > Tauton Locomotive Co. Tauton, Mass.
      > By 1862 many of the Northern rail roads were running on a 50% cash
      > profit margin- thanks in very large measure to the Union Army. On
      the
      > other hand no Southern railroad was making any cash - there was
      > simply no cash to be had from the CS government. Also why ship
      cotton
      > to the ports since the blockade prevented sale to Europe? On the
      > other hand Mid West Produce and grain had a European Market and
      the
      > ONLY way to get them to market until the Mississippi River was
      opened
      > was the Northern Railroads.
      > At the beginning of the war the three major railroads of
      surrounding
      > Richmond were Virginia Central, Richmond Fredericksburg &Potomac
      and
      > the Manassas Gap had they a total of 47 engines and 597 cars. No
      new
      > locomotives or cars were added to the railroads stock for the
      > duration of the war. Compare this to the Illinois Central, which
      > between 1863 and 1865 increased its number of locomotives from 112
      > 148 and its freight cars from 2312 to 3337!
      > As far as many CW generals not understanding the importance of
      rail
      > roads this is certainly true. However, I am not sure that many
      > present day buffs really are much better. Although it is clearly
      an
      > Eastern Theater issue I can not remember the last time I heard any
      > mention of the significance of Lee's breaking of the B & O
      Railroad