RE: [civilwarwest] Contemporary Opinion

  • Bob Huddleston
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 24, 2002
      I would also suggest Weita, _A Higher Duty: Desertion Among Georgia
      Troops during the CW_ (Univ of Neb, 2000) Weitz plots the monthly and
      home county of CS deserters from Dec 1863 to Dec 1864. The largest
      number came from North Georgia in early 1864. This area had never been a
      hotbed of rebels and the Union occupation, as well as intelligent U.S.
      policies towards those who would take the oath, encouraged boys in gray
      to go home.

      Indeed, most of the desertions came from boys in the path of the Atlanta
      Campaign.

      However, six counties, in the path of the March to the Sea, had the
      majority of their desertions after September 1864.

      Take care,

      Bob

      Judy and Bob Huddleston
      10643 Sperry Street