Re: [civilwarwest] Rawlins

  • Dan Cone
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 24, 2002
      >Sure there are objective memoirs. Look at Dwight >Eisenhower's "Crusade in
      >Europe." The book was so objective that it >was BORING. The formula was
      >to list the units involved, give the >results, and then list the casualty
      >totals.

      I guess so; I used to work as a "reenactor" at Ft. McHenry in Baltimore
      a few years back, and as part of the act, we would read authentic newspaper
      broadsides from that time period. BORRRRRRRING! "News" back then consisted
      of advertisements about how many cows Mr. Andrews of Lincoln County bought
      from the market, or the specifications of a newly launched U.S. Navy vessel.
      True to the letter, but absolutely dull as well. It's personal opinion
      that makes news, as Denzel Washington called it in TRAINING DAY, "bull****,
      but very INTERESTING bull****."

      Dan