Re: [civilwarwest] Railroads

  • Aurelie1999@aol.com
    Message 1 of 56 , Oct 20, 2002
      In a message dated 10/20/2002 11:57:49 AM Central Daylight Time, cmccprice@... writes:

      Greetings.
      I am exploring the possibility that Southern Control of Railroads in the Western Theatre could have produced a different outcome of the war. The defeat of the south was not inevitable.  Can anyone recommend sources that would support or possibly destroy my premise?
      Thanks,
      Rallieee

      I suppose it is a possibility, but it would be pretty hard countering Grenville Dodge who was a formidable foe for the CSA railroad strategy.  In addition, rolling stock, engine maintenance and providing track was nearly impossible for the CSA.

      I do understand that there is a new book coming out on the southern railroad.  In the meantime, Victory Rode the Rails is a pretty good examination of the Union achievements.  There is another book I have as well, but it is at home and I can't think of the name, I think its title is Railroads in the Civil War, but it also concentrates on Union achievements.  I suggest going to ABE at www.abebooks.com and putting in the key words Civil War Railroads.  Amazon may yield the new book.

      Connie Boone
    • keeno2@aol.com
      Message 56 of 56 , Dec 20, 2006
        A most interesting discussion, gentlemen. I'd always wondered how that seniority/rank thing worked out, but not enough to actually go looking for it. As it turns out, it was provided to me. Thank you all.
        Ken