Re: Hood and Spring Hill

  • Stephen D Wakefield
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 30, 2000
      Hey Bob (although we have not met I hope I may call you by your first name)
      That Spring Hill ALLEGED night of drinking can get even more interesting.
      Seems the home in question was of one Ms. Peters! Name sound farmilar?
      Some may recall that Ms. Peters was Earl Van Dorn's alleged paramore-- whose
      jealous husband had blown Ole Earl's brains out for messin with his wife.
      Wonder if Doc Peters was home the night Hood and the boys passed though???
      LOL
      I am not kidding about these fiurther details it was the Peters house where
      Hood and other officers may (I emphasis may) have stopped.
      AoT
      -----
    • Stephen D Wakefield
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 30, 2000
          Steve,

          At 17:56 8/30/00 -0500, you wrote:

          >Hey Bob (although we have not met I hope I may call you by your first name)

          No problem. Now I know who AoT is. Where do you live? I live in Newnan,
          south of Atlanta.

          >That Spring Hill ALLEGED night of drinking can get even more interesting.

          The story gets bandied about quite a bit, which doesn't mean that there is
          a factual basis. The canard about Wood deciding on his own to follow the
          bad order comes to mind. In fact he was ordered to follow the order by McCook.

          Anyway, it seems plausible that they were doing that evening what they did
          on every possible occasion previously. What makes it morbid is the carnage
          next day.

          >Seems the home in question was of one Ms. Peters! Name sound farmilar?
          >Some may recall that Ms. Peters was Earl Van Dorn's alleged paramore-- whose
          >jealous husband had blown Ole Earl's brains out for messin with his wife.

          Again, this is plausible. The class of the rich people in the South was
          pretty restricted, so it makes sense that the same people crop up more than
          once. Mary Chestnut seems to be everywhere, for example.

          By the way, I was invited by Dick Weeks to join this round table after I
          send him an E-mail addressed to you about your article on Chattanooga. I
          didn't blast it, but differed on a few points. If you want I could send it
          to you if Dick hasn't already, although after the exchanges of the last
          couple of weeks you know my standpoint.

          Surely it hasn't escaped you that I have a fair amount of sympathy and a
          lot of respect for Bragg.

          Greetings,

          Bob
        • Bob Redman
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 30, 2000
            Steve,

          • jaaah@tbcnet.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 30, 2000
              > Seems the home in question was of one Ms. Peters! Name sound farmilar?
              > Some may recall that Ms. Peters was Earl Van Dorn's alleged paramore

              The same Mrs. Thomas Peters? Wife of Dr. Thomas B. Peters?

              >-- whose
              > jealous husband had blown Ole Earl's brains out for messin with his wife.

              BTW, does anyone know the nature of Van Dorn's mortal wounding? Was the bullet through
              his brain?

            • jaaah@tbcnet.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 30, 2000

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 31, 2000
                  Memphis Tennessee here.
                  > >Hey Bob (although we have not met I hope I may call you by your first
                  name)

                  > No problem. Now I know who AoT is. Where do you live? I live in Newnan,
                  > south of Atlanta.
                  >
                  > >That Spring Hill ALLEGED night of drinking can get even more interesting.
                  >
                  > The story gets bandied about quite a bit, which doesn't mean that there is
                  > a factual basis. The canard about Wood deciding on his own to follow the
                  > bad order comes to mind. In fact he was ordered to follow the order by
                  McCook.

                  > Anyway, it seems plausible that they were doing that evening what they did
                  > on every possible occasion previously. What makes it morbid is the carnage
                  > next day.
                  >
                  > >Seems the home in question was of one Ms. Peters! Name sound farmilar?
                  > >Some may recall that Ms. Peters was Earl Van Dorn's alleged paramore--
                  whose
                  > >jealous husband had blown Ole Earl's brains out for messin with his wife.
                  >
                  > Again, this is plausible. The class of the rich people in the South was
                  > pretty restricted, so it makes sense that the same people crop up more
                  than
                  > once. Mary Chestnut seems to be everywhere, for example.
                  >
                  > By the way, I was invited by Dick Weeks to join this round table after I
                  > send him an E-mail addressed to you about your article on Chattanooga. I
                  > didn't blast it, but differed on a few points. If you want I could send it
                  > to you if Dick hasn't already, although after the exchanges of the last
                  > couple of weeks you know my standpoint.
                  >
                  > Surely it hasn't escaped you that I have a fair amount of sympathy and a
                  > lot of respect for Bragg.
                  >
                  > Greetings,
                  >
                  > Bob

                • Stephen D Wakefield
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 31, 2000
                    Memphis Tennessee here.
                    > >Hey Bob (although we have not met I hope I may call you by your first
                    name)

                    > No problem. Now I know who AoT is. Where do you live? I live in Newnan,
                    > south of Atlanta.
                    >
                    > >That Spring Hill ALLEGED night of drinking can get even more interesting.
                    >
                    > The story gets bandied about quite a bit, which doesn't mean that there is
                    > a factual basis. The canard about Wood deciding on his own to follow the
                    > bad order comes to mind. In fact he was ordered to follow the order by
                    McCook.

                    > Anyway, it seems plausible that they were doing that evening what they did
                    > on every possible occasion previously. What makes it morbid is the carnage
                    > next day.
                    >
                    > >Seems the home in question was of one Ms. Peters! Name sound farmilar?
                    > >Some may recall that Ms. Peters was Earl Van Dorn's alleged paramore--
                    whose
                    > >jealous husband had blown Ole Earl's brains out for messin with his wife.
                    >
                    > Again, this is plausible. The class of the rich people in the South was
                    > pretty restricted, so it makes sense that the same people crop up more
                    than
                    > once. Mary Chestnut seems to be everywhere, for example.
                    >
                    > By the way, I was invited by Dick Weeks to join this round table after I
                    > send him an E-mail addressed to you about your article on Chattanooga. I
                    > didn't blast it, but differed on a few points. If you want I could send it
                    > to you if Dick hasn't already, although after the exchanges of the last
                    > couple of weeks you know my standpoint.
                    >
                    > Surely it hasn't escaped you that I have a fair amount of sympathy and a
                    > lot of respect for Bragg.
                    >
                    > Greetings,
                    >
                    > Bob

                  • Bob Redman
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 31, 2000
                      Steve,

                      You just sent me or us my original message with no comment of your own.

                      Greetings,

                      Bob
                    • Bob Redman