Re: Will's Red River II: The Plan

  • Will
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 16, 2002
      --- In civilwarwest@y..., "slippymississippi" >
      > IIRC, it was Washington that dictated the Red River campaign to
      Grant
      > over a (more sensible) movement on Mobile. It seems awfully
      strange
      > that the Union would spend the first half of the war making the
      trans-
      > Mississippi irrelevant, only to launch a massive assault on said
      > irrelevant theatre. What was Lincoln thinking???

      As far as I can tell the thinking flowed from:

      --the idea that a successful campagin against Shreveport would open
      the rest of Louisiana, Arkansas and Texas to union control.

      --the idea that these states contained significant unionist elements
      waiting to be liberated (there seemed to be a notion that Texas was
      like East Tennessee or West Virginia).

      --the idea that the resulting control of Texas, Lousiaina and
      Arkansas would pave the way for these three states to be reorganized
      politically in time for the elections.

      --the idea that there was loads of cotton waiting to be brought to
      market which would give a boost to the US Treasury and stimulate the
      economy.

      --the idea that this campaign and the resulting control of Texas
      would help in foreign policy dealings with Mexico and France.

      A good deal of this seems to me to have been wishful thinking.