Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Interesting article on CW

  • David Kowalski
    Message 1 of 242 , Oct 2, 2002

      Carl Sandburg, Abraham Lincoln:  The Prairie Years and the War Years, p.496, Harcourt Brace and Company, New York, 1954 (original ed. published in 1926, my copy is 1954)

       hank9174 wrote:

      --- In civilwarwest@y..., CashG79@a... wrote:
      > In a message dated 10/1/2002 8:46:41 AM Hawaiian Standard Time,
      > kywddavid@y... writes:
      >

      > > The traditional story, taught in school, was that
      > > statehood would give Nevada closer ties to Washington
      > > and the Union.  The real story is actually more
      > > interesting, give a view of Lincoln the politician.
      > >
      > > To admit Nevada, Lincoln traded favors (through
      > > Charles Dana) to 3 Congressmen.  Each got control of a
      > > federal appointment.
      >
      > -----------
      > Nothing wrong with that.

      We tend to forget that war is *politics* by other means.

      The great aversion to Lincoln's reconstruction plans in Tennessee,
      Arkansas and Louisiana revolved around the idea that a small number of
      voters would deliver a large number of Republican electoral votes (12,
      4 and 6 respectively).

      > By the way, do you have a source for this?  If I ever repeat it I
      want to be
      > able to cite where it came from.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Cash

      HankC

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • Bob Huddleston
      Message 242 of 242 , Nov 2, 2002
        A good reason why any published OR quotation needs to be cross checked
        against the hard bound!

        Guild Press is excellent at accepting typos found in their CD. Send them
        to typo@...

        Guild Press has done a fantastic job in catching typos, although a few
        slipped through. When cross-checked, I find that they were in cases
        where the original was printed lightly or blurred.

        BTW, I am always amazed at how few typos there are in the original ORs!
        Boy, those folk had great spell-checkers on their typesetters!

        Take care,

        Bob

        Judy and Bob Huddleston
        10643 Sperry Street