Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Interesting article on CW

  • CashG79@aol.com
    Message 1 of 242 , Oct 1, 2002
      In a message dated 10/1/2002 8:46:41 AM Hawaiian Standard Time, kywddavid@... writes:

      The traditional story, taught in school, was that
      statehood would give Nevada closer ties to Washington
      and the Union.  The real story is actually more
      interesting, give a view of Lincoln the politician.

      To admit Nevada, Lincoln traded favors (through
      Charles Dana) to 3 Congressmen.  Each got control of a
      federal appointment.

      -----------
      Nothing wrong with that.

      By the way, do you have a source for this?  If I ever repeat it I want to be able to cite where it came from.

      Regards,
      Cash
    • Bob Huddleston
      Message 242 of 242 , Nov 2, 2002
        A good reason why any published OR quotation needs to be cross checked
        against the hard bound!

        Guild Press is excellent at accepting typos found in their CD. Send them
        to typo@...

        Guild Press has done a fantastic job in catching typos, although a few
        slipped through. When cross-checked, I find that they were in cases
        where the original was printed lightly or blurred.

        BTW, I am always amazed at how few typos there are in the original ORs!
        Boy, those folk had great spell-checkers on their typesetters!

        Take care,

        Bob

        Judy and Bob Huddleston
        10643 Sperry Street