Distant relative.

  • herpvetminson@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2002
      Among my many hobbies including civil war studies, is geneaology. I found parole papers for my great-great-great grandfather, and wondered if it is not beyond the scope of this discussion, if those of you more learned in the war than I am could help me track down where my relative was, as I think this would be faily interesting. Here's what I have:

              Simon Peter Collins Sr.
             enlisted January 1 1863
             Served in  Company C 10th regiment Missouri Cavalry under Col. Wm. T. Barry where he attained the rank of private.

             He surrendered to Maj. Gen. E.R.S. Canby on May 26 1865, and was paroled on June 7 1865 in Shreveport LA

      On an interesting (and probably common) side note, His son Simon Peter Collins Jr. married a girl whose father fought for the union. My Grandmother remembers them, and says the two fought like cats and dogs their entire life (not a blissful joining of the North and South I guess) and always voted opposite one another in political elections.

      I'm not trying to turn this into a family tree hunt but if any of you could provide info I would be grateful, if this is beyond the scope of the discussion the I'll pipe down.

      Thanks,
             Brad
    • ACES_DUGOUT
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2002
        Hi Y'all
         there is a nether few sites also that may be able to help you.
        these can help in the history and units that they were involved in.
         Hope this helps
        Yours in service
        James
        You can ask your question there, and I would be willing to bet you might find your answer.  Besides, they are have a lot of interesting facts on them.  I have learned quite a bit from them.

        Rose Mary Lankford

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2002
          Brad,