RE: [civilwarwest] Re: California in the ACW

  • David Woodbury
    Message 1 of 242 , Oct 1, 2002
      At 6:25 PM -0600 10/1/02, Bob Huddleston wrote:
      >Actually the Presidio predates the CW by four score or so years. But
      >both it and Alcatraz were used at CW forts. I think all pre-prison stuff
      >is gone from Alcatraz.

      There are still some CW-era battery remnants on Angel Island, and
      near Fort Mason. A few years ago an issue of "American Heritage" had
      some long-lost photos of the Civil War batteries on Alcatraz. That
      garrison was commanded for a time by Capt. William Winder, the son of
      a Confederate officer, so he was regarded suspiciously by some.

      >In the National Cemetery at the Presidio are a number of CW folk.
      >Notables include Charlotte Cushing and Irvin McDowell. Interestingly the
      >later has no big monument over him, just a normal government tombstone.

      Pauline Cushman (Fryer) is buried there. Her epitaph just says "Union
      Spy." McDowell's stone, unfortunately, got his first name wrong. They
      wrote it as "Irwin."

      David
    • Bob Huddleston
      Message 242 of 242 , Nov 2, 2002
        A good reason why any published OR quotation needs to be cross checked
        against the hard bound!

        Guild Press is excellent at accepting typos found in their CD. Send them
        to typo@...

        Guild Press has done a fantastic job in catching typos, although a few
        slipped through. When cross-checked, I find that they were in cases
        where the original was printed lightly or blurred.

        BTW, I am always amazed at how few typos there are in the original ORs!
        Boy, those folk had great spell-checkers on their typesetters!

        Take care,

        Bob

        Judy and Bob Huddleston
        10643 Sperry Street