Re: Interesting article on CW

  • Billie
    Message 1 of 242 , Oct 1, 2002
      OK, Will, I give on that one, you're right. He needed the votes from
      one more state.

      But the silver didn't hurt. :)

      Billie

      --- In civilwarwest@y..., "Will" <wh_keene@y...> wrote:
      > --- In civilwarwest@y..., "Henry Sibley" <henry_sibley@y...> wrote:
      > > --- In civilwarwest@y..., herpvetminson@a... wrote:
      > > > presume that's what Sibley was trying to determine.
      > > >
      > > > Comments anyone?
      > >
      > > Sibley's expedition was offensive in nature, not a
      reconnaissance.
      > He
      > > hoped to conquer the Arizona Territory and get to California,
      where
      > it
      > > was hoped that the numerous Southern sympathizers would help
      bring
      > that
      > > state under Confederate control.
      >
      > Great hearing it from Sibley himself! [any relation?]
      >
      > I believe that upon capturing Tuscon, a declaration was made
      claiming
      > Arizona as a CSA Territory.
      >

      > I have a more general question regarding Billie's response.
      > --- In civilwarwest@y..., "Billie" <wmhiram@y...> wrote:
      > >...Nevada was made a state in order that their mineral
      > > wealth would not go anywhere but into the US treasury.
      >
      > What does statehood have to do with the flow of mineral wealth?
      Would
      > not the mineral wealth flow to the US treasury just as easily, if
      not
      > more so, if Nevada was a territory?
    • Bob Huddleston
      Message 242 of 242 , Nov 2, 2002
        A good reason why any published OR quotation needs to be cross checked
        against the hard bound!

        Guild Press is excellent at accepting typos found in their CD. Send them
        to typo@...

        Guild Press has done a fantastic job in catching typos, although a few
        slipped through. When cross-checked, I find that they were in cases
        where the original was printed lightly or blurred.

        BTW, I am always amazed at how few typos there are in the original ORs!
        Boy, those folk had great spell-checkers on their typesetters!

        Take care,

        Bob

        Judy and Bob Huddleston
        10643 Sperry Street