Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Interesting article on CW

  • David Kowalski
    Message 1 of 242 , Oct 1, 2002
      According to Carl Sandburg's biography, Lincoln wanted
      Nevada admitted as a state because its voters were
      staunchly republican and Lincoln could count on the
      state of Nevada ratifying an amendment to the
      Constitution outlawing slavery.

      The traditional story, taught in school, was that
      statehood would give Nevada closer ties to Washington
      and the Union. The real story is actually more
      interesting, give a view of Lincoln the politician.

      To admit Nevada, Lincoln traded favors (through
      Charles Dana) to 3 Congressmen. Each got control of a
      federal appointment.

      --- Will <wh_keene@...> wrote:
      > --- In civilwarwest@y..., "Henry Sibley"
      > <henry_sibley@y...> wrote:
      > > --- In civilwarwest@y..., herpvetminson@a...
      > wrote:
      > > > presume that's what Sibley was trying to
      > determine.
      > > >
      > > > Comments anyone?
      > >
      > > Sibley's expedition was offensive in nature, not a
      > reconnaissance.
      > He
      > > hoped to conquer the Arizona Territory and get to
      > California, where
      > it
      > > was hoped that the numerous Southern sympathizers
      > would help bring
      > that
      > > state under Confederate control.
      >
      > Great hearing it from Sibley himself! [any
      > relation?]
      >
      > I believe that upon capturing Tuscon, a declaration
      > was made claiming
      > Arizona as a CSA Territory.
      >

      > I have a more general question regarding Billie's
      > response.
      > --- In civilwarwest@y..., "Billie" <wmhiram@y...>
      > wrote:
      > >...Nevada was made a state in order that their
      > mineral
      > > wealth would not go anywhere but into the US
      > treasury.
      >
      > What does statehood have to do with the flow of
      > mineral wealth? Would
      > not the mineral wealth flow to the US treasury just
      > as easily, if not
      > more so, if Nevada was a territory?

      http://sbc.yahoo.com
    • Bob Huddleston
      Message 242 of 242 , Nov 2, 2002
        A good reason why any published OR quotation needs to be cross checked
        against the hard bound!

        Guild Press is excellent at accepting typos found in their CD. Send them
        to typo@...

        Guild Press has done a fantastic job in catching typos, although a few
        slipped through. When cross-checked, I find that they were in cases
        where the original was printed lightly or blurred.

        BTW, I am always amazed at how few typos there are in the original ORs!
        Boy, those folk had great spell-checkers on their typesetters!

        Take care,

        Bob

        Judy and Bob Huddleston
        10643 Sperry Street