Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Interesting article on CW

  • David Kowalski
    Message 1 of 242 , Oct 1, 2002
      I read a book review in the last week that suggested
      that California gold played an important part in
      financing the war. I don't seem to be able to find
      the title or author. The book sounded rather
      California-centric (arguments about California coming
      in as a free state helped cause the war, California
      gold financed it, the transcontinental RR to
      Cal;ifornia healed the nation after the war).
      Certainly Nevada silver was important, important
      enough to bring Nevada in as a state.

      The review didn't mention any battles or expeditions
      in California.

      Wish I could be more helpful but ...

      --- herpvetminson@... wrote:
      > thanks for the info, I was wondering what
      > involvement (if any) California had
      > in the CW. Now for a more speculative question.
      > Sibely sent an expedition
      > from Texas into New Mexico and Arizona, were there
      > enough men stationed in
      > the western frontier post to pose a threat to the
      > Western borders of Texas? I
      > presume that's what Sibley was trying to determine.
      >
      > Comments anyone?

      http://sbc.yahoo.com
    • Bob Huddleston
      Message 242 of 242 , Nov 2, 2002
        A good reason why any published OR quotation needs to be cross checked
        against the hard bound!

        Guild Press is excellent at accepting typos found in their CD. Send them
        to typo@...

        Guild Press has done a fantastic job in catching typos, although a few
        slipped through. When cross-checked, I find that they were in cases
        where the original was printed lightly or blurred.

        BTW, I am always amazed at how few typos there are in the original ORs!
        Boy, those folk had great spell-checkers on their typesetters!

        Take care,

        Bob

        Judy and Bob Huddleston
        10643 Sperry Street