Re: [civilwarwest] Re: washburne and grant

  • Aurelie1999@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1, 2002
      In a message dated 10/1/2002 7:01:34 AM Central Daylight Time, Jfepperson@... writes:

      PS:  CC Washburn was not as supportive or close to Grant as
      Elihu, IIRC.

      I believe your are right on that count.  Of course, after Grant went to the White House and Elihu also had a falling out that lasted for years.

      Connie
    • Pete Taylor
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 1, 2002
        Right Connie,

        C.C. Washburn was, at best, a marginal Cavalry Officer, not bad
        enough to get relieved not good enough to stay on board as Grant's
        Cavalry chief. He led an expedition in Nov-Dec 1862 from Helena,
        Arkansas towards Grenada, Mississippi with the intention of cutting
        the rail road between that place and Abbeyville. This action was to
        support Grant' first push towards Vicksburg that was stalled when Van
        Dorne hit Holly Springs in December. While Washburn's raid met with
        little resistence it never accomplished its purpose. A part of
        Washburn's brigade managed to cut a lot of telegraph lines and
        disrupt communications for a few days, but it failed to burn the key
        bridges or capture Grenada and the railhead there.

        They fought a "major" skirmish at Coffeeville and placed that entire
        portion of north central Mississippi in a state of panic, but they
        really accomplished very little of lasting damage to the
        Confederacy. Part of the problem was that the pontoon boats that
        Washburn had were so badly built that most sank when being used to
        cross the Coldwater River near Marks, MS. He was forced to send men
        up and down stream to find boats and then used the bridging materials
        he brought with him to improvise a pontoon bridge. This tied him up
        for almost one extra day and alerted the Confederates at Grenada that
        something was afoot and allowed them sufficient time to move trains
        around so that even when he did strike the railline he did minimal
        damage.

        Sherman, in his OR report, did credit Washburn's force with causing
        some panic but then went on to say that the raid was of little
        consequence.

        Washburn's command in Memphis was unremarkable except for the Forrest
        incident and his final squabble over attaching his old command, a
        brigade containing the 2nd Wisconsin Cavalry to MG Wilson's command
        at the end of the war during his Selma raid, an action that cost his
        old regiment dearly. THe units that went with Wilson were generally
        allowed to muster out of the service at the end of the war, whereas
        the cavalry under Washburn's command at Memphis were retained and
        sent to Texas with MG George Armstrong Custer in August 1965, and
        didn't muster out until November 1865 - January 1866. Meanwhile
        Washburn, himself, got out as fast as he could to get back to
        Wisconsin for the upcoming election season.

        Probably the most telling indication of Washburn's lack of abilities
        and Grant's recognition of this was the fact that MG Wilson who had
        been a Lieutenant Colonel during the early days of the Vicksburg
        Overland Campaign under Grant was selected to lead the Cavalry Corps
        as opposed to C.C. Washburn who was a senior Major General in the
        theater at the time.

        Pete Taylor
        Clarksburg, WV.

      • Aurelie1999@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 1, 2002
          In a message dated 10/1/02 10:17:15 AM, ltcpataylor@... writes:

          << Probably the most telling indication of Washburn's lack of abilities
          and Grant's recognition of this was the fact that MG Wilson who had
          been a Lieutenant Colonel during the early days of the Vicksburg
          Overland Campaign under Grant was selected to lead the Cavalry Corps
          as opposed to C.C. Washburn who was a senior Major General in the
          theater at the time. >>

          Goes to show that Bob Uecker's philosophy in Catcher in the Wry for staying
          in the game was right-on. If you are mediocre no one pays much attention and
          you slide by.

          Thanks for the outline Pete. Good thing for my mother, the quintessential
          apple pie mom who always insisted on Gold Medal Flour didn't care about Cad's
          CW prowess, she only cared about the cake coming out perfect.

          Connie
        • carlw4514
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 1, 2002
            Now wait a minute, we country-music/bluegrass fans happen to know
            there is a way to make better biscuits, cakes and pies:
            MARTHA WHITE!