Re: [civilwarwest] Re: washburne and grant

  • Jfepperson@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1, 2002
      In a message dated 9/30/02 11:24:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      Aurelie1999@... writes:

      > In 1880 Cadwallader and his partner John Crosby had perfected a special
      > process for refining flour and won a gold medal for their flour. You
      > guessed it, the famous Gold Medal Flour. His mill merged with
      > other mills to form General Mills, making him a very rich man.

      Why can't something like that happen to me?

      <g>

      JFE

      PS: CC Washburn was not as supportive or close to Grant as
      Elihu, IIRC.
    • Aurelie1999@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 1, 2002
        In a message dated 10/1/2002 6:54:04 AM Central Daylight Time, ltcpataylor@... writes:

        Exactly, I thought that's what I said? Cadwallader raised the 2nd WI
        Cavalry

        I apologize Pete, I must have misread your original email.  Had a hunch something was wrong cuz I knew you knew.  The way I read it, I thought you were saying that Cadwallader was war time governor of Maine.  I must need a brush up course in Reading 101.

        Connie
      • Aurelie1999@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 1, 2002
          In a message dated 10/1/2002 7:01:34 AM Central Daylight Time, Jfepperson@... writes:

          PS:  CC Washburn was not as supportive or close to Grant as
          Elihu, IIRC.

          I believe your are right on that count.  Of course, after Grant went to the White House and Elihu also had a falling out that lasted for years.

          Connie
        • Pete Taylor
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 1, 2002
            Right Connie,

            C.C. Washburn was, at best, a marginal Cavalry Officer, not bad
            enough to get relieved not good enough to stay on board as Grant's
            Cavalry chief. He led an expedition in Nov-Dec 1862 from Helena,
            Arkansas towards Grenada, Mississippi with the intention of cutting
            the rail road between that place and Abbeyville. This action was to
            support Grant' first push towards Vicksburg that was stalled when Van
            Dorne hit Holly Springs in December. While Washburn's raid met with
            little resistence it never accomplished its purpose. A part of
            Washburn's brigade managed to cut a lot of telegraph lines and
            disrupt communications for a few days, but it failed to burn the key
            bridges or capture Grenada and the railhead there.

            They fought a "major" skirmish at Coffeeville and placed that entire
            portion of north central Mississippi in a state of panic, but they
            really accomplished very little of lasting damage to the
            Confederacy. Part of the problem was that the pontoon boats that
            Washburn had were so badly built that most sank when being used to
            cross the Coldwater River near Marks, MS. He was forced to send men
            up and down stream to find boats and then used the bridging materials
            he brought with him to improvise a pontoon bridge. This tied him up
            for almost one extra day and alerted the Confederates at Grenada that
            something was afoot and allowed them sufficient time to move trains
            around so that even when he did strike the railline he did minimal
            damage.

            Sherman, in his OR report, did credit Washburn's force with causing
            some panic but then went on to say that the raid was of little
            consequence.

            Washburn's command in Memphis was unremarkable except for the Forrest
            incident and his final squabble over attaching his old command, a
            brigade containing the 2nd Wisconsin Cavalry to MG Wilson's command
            at the end of the war during his Selma raid, an action that cost his
            old regiment dearly. THe units that went with Wilson were generally
            allowed to muster out of the service at the end of the war, whereas
            the cavalry under Washburn's command at Memphis were retained and
            sent to Texas with MG George Armstrong Custer in August 1965, and
            didn't muster out until November 1865 - January 1866. Meanwhile
            Washburn, himself, got out as fast as he could to get back to
            Wisconsin for the upcoming election season.

            Probably the most telling indication of Washburn's lack of abilities
            and Grant's recognition of this was the fact that MG Wilson who had
            been a Lieutenant Colonel during the early days of the Vicksburg
            Overland Campaign under Grant was selected to lead the Cavalry Corps
            as opposed to C.C. Washburn who was a senior Major General in the
            theater at the time.

            Pete Taylor
            Clarksburg, WV.

          • Aurelie1999@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 1, 2002
              In a message dated 10/1/02 10:17:15 AM, ltcpataylor@... writes:

              << Probably the most telling indication of Washburn's lack of abilities
              and Grant's recognition of this was the fact that MG Wilson who had
              been a Lieutenant Colonel during the early days of the Vicksburg
              Overland Campaign under Grant was selected to lead the Cavalry Corps
              as opposed to C.C. Washburn who was a senior Major General in the
              theater at the time. >>

              Goes to show that Bob Uecker's philosophy in Catcher in the Wry for staying
              in the game was right-on. If you are mediocre no one pays much attention and
              you slide by.

              Thanks for the outline Pete. Good thing for my mother, the quintessential
              apple pie mom who always insisted on Gold Medal Flour didn't care about Cad's
              CW prowess, she only cared about the cake coming out perfect.

              Connie
            • carlw4514
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 1, 2002
                Now wait a minute, we country-music/bluegrass fans happen to know
                there is a way to make better biscuits, cakes and pies:
                MARTHA WHITE!