Re: washburne and grant

  • Pete Taylor
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1, 2002
      Exactly, I thought that's what I said? Cadwallader raised the 2nd WI
      Cavalry, his brother Elihu was Grant's political ally and the third
      brother was the wartime governor of Maine? C.C. Washburn's papers
      are a hoot to read, if you get a chance they are in Madison in the
      archives. Unfortunately there were not a lot of his wartime papers
      most deal with his terms in Congress, his business interests and his
      papers as Governor.

      Pete Taylor
      Clarksburg, WV

      --- In civilwarwest@y..., Aurelie1999@a... wrote:
      > Pete, I believe that you have the brothers somewhat confused.
      >
      > According to my research there were three brothers Israel, Elihu
      and
      > Cadwallader. Israel was the oldest and Congressmen and later the
      wartime
      > governor of Maine. Elihu the middle brother added the "E" to his
      last name.

      > Cadwallader was the youngest of the three and moved to Wisconsin
      becoming a
      > congressmen in 1855 and while serving joined the Union Army. > In
      1866 he
      > > built a flour mill in Minneapolis and became governor of
      Wisconsin in 1872.

      > In 1880 Cadwallader and his partner John Crosby had perfected a
      special
      > process for refining flour and won a gold medal for their flour.
      You guessed

    • Jfepperson@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 1, 2002
        In a message dated 9/30/02 11:24:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        Aurelie1999@... writes:

        > In 1880 Cadwallader and his partner John Crosby had perfected a special
        > process for refining flour and won a gold medal for their flour. You
        > guessed it, the famous Gold Medal Flour. His mill merged with
        > other mills to form General Mills, making him a very rich man.

        Why can't something like that happen to me?

        <g>

        JFE

        PS: CC Washburn was not as supportive or close to Grant as
        Elihu, IIRC.
      • Aurelie1999@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 1, 2002
          In a message dated 10/1/2002 6:54:04 AM Central Daylight Time, ltcpataylor@... writes:

          Exactly, I thought that's what I said? Cadwallader raised the 2nd WI
          Cavalry

          I apologize Pete, I must have misread your original email.  Had a hunch something was wrong cuz I knew you knew.  The way I read it, I thought you were saying that Cadwallader was war time governor of Maine.  I must need a brush up course in Reading 101.

          Connie
        • Aurelie1999@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 1, 2002
            In a message dated 10/1/2002 7:01:34 AM Central Daylight Time, Jfepperson@... writes:

            PS:  CC Washburn was not as supportive or close to Grant as
            Elihu, IIRC.

            I believe your are right on that count.  Of course, after Grant went to the White House and Elihu also had a falling out that lasted for years.

            Connie
          • Pete Taylor
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 1, 2002
              Right Connie,

              C.C. Washburn was, at best, a marginal Cavalry Officer, not bad
              enough to get relieved not good enough to stay on board as Grant's
              Cavalry chief. He led an expedition in Nov-Dec 1862 from Helena,
              Arkansas towards Grenada, Mississippi with the intention of cutting
              the rail road between that place and Abbeyville. This action was to
              support Grant' first push towards Vicksburg that was stalled when Van
              Dorne hit Holly Springs in December. While Washburn's raid met with
              little resistence it never accomplished its purpose. A part of
              Washburn's brigade managed to cut a lot of telegraph lines and
              disrupt communications for a few days, but it failed to burn the key
              bridges or capture Grenada and the railhead there.

              They fought a "major" skirmish at Coffeeville and placed that entire
              portion of north central Mississippi in a state of panic, but they
              really accomplished very little of lasting damage to the
              Confederacy. Part of the problem was that the pontoon boats that
              Washburn had were so badly built that most sank when being used to
              cross the Coldwater River near Marks, MS. He was forced to send men
              up and down stream to find boats and then used the bridging materials
              he brought with him to improvise a pontoon bridge. This tied him up
              for almost one extra day and alerted the Confederates at Grenada that
              something was afoot and allowed them sufficient time to move trains
              around so that even when he did strike the railline he did minimal
              damage.

              Sherman, in his OR report, did credit Washburn's force with causing
              some panic but then went on to say that the raid was of little
              consequence.

              Washburn's command in Memphis was unremarkable except for the Forrest
              incident and his final squabble over attaching his old command, a
              brigade containing the 2nd Wisconsin Cavalry to MG Wilson's command
              at the end of the war during his Selma raid, an action that cost his
              old regiment dearly. THe units that went with Wilson were generally
              allowed to muster out of the service at the end of the war, whereas
              the cavalry under Washburn's command at Memphis were retained and
              sent to Texas with MG George Armstrong Custer in August 1965, and
              didn't muster out until November 1865 - January 1866. Meanwhile
              Washburn, himself, got out as fast as he could to get back to
              Wisconsin for the upcoming election season.

              Probably the most telling indication of Washburn's lack of abilities
              and Grant's recognition of this was the fact that MG Wilson who had
              been a Lieutenant Colonel during the early days of the Vicksburg
              Overland Campaign under Grant was selected to lead the Cavalry Corps
              as opposed to C.C. Washburn who was a senior Major General in the
              theater at the time.

            • Aurelie1999@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 1, 2002
                In a message dated 10/1/02 10:17:15 AM, ltcpataylor@... writes:

                << Probably the most telling indication of Washburn's lack of abilities
                and Grant's recognition of this was the fact that MG Wilson who had
                been a Lieutenant Colonel during the early days of the Vicksburg
                Overland Campaign under Grant was selected to lead the Cavalry Corps
                as opposed to C.C. Washburn who was a senior Major General in the
                theater at the time. >>

                Goes to show that Bob Uecker's philosophy in Catcher in the Wry for staying
                in the game was right-on. If you are mediocre no one pays much attention and
                you slide by.

                Thanks for the outline Pete. Good thing for my mother, the quintessential
                apple pie mom who always insisted on Gold Medal Flour didn't care about Cad's
                CW prowess, she only cared about the cake coming out perfect.

                Connie
              • carlw4514
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 1, 2002
                  Now wait a minute, we country-music/bluegrass fans happen to know
                  there is a way to make better biscuits, cakes and pies:
                  MARTHA WHITE!