Ltr #55 Live off of Rbls, by H. B. Talbert

  • Jack Hultquist
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2002

      [Huntingdon, Tenn.]

      Hunnington Carrol Co. "Tenn. "

      Dec"  30th 1863

      Dear Sister [Louisa, the preacher]

             After a delay of two or three weeks I seat myself to write a few lines in answer to thine that came to hand in due time and I was sorry indeed to learn that thy health was so delicate; but I hope ere [before] this comes to hand thee will be blest with good health.  Thy letter contained the last news I had from thee.  Since we left St" Louis I have heard but very little news, have rcvd" but one letter and have not seen a newspaper that contained any news since we left the above named place. We left Union City Tenn" on the 22 ond inst and have been on the march most of the time since and are now only 52 miles from that place.  We arrived at this place on the 28th inst and more than likely we will lay here several days.  I have no idea at present where we are going or what we are going to do.  Heretofore it has been the chat that we were going to Jackson Tenn" to offer battle agains[t] Forrest, but deserters from his army report that he has skeedaddled.  The part of Tenn that we have been marching through is not half as destitute of the comforts & blessings of life as Mo.  The country does not look as though any large force of troops had ever marched through it.  Every body appears to have plenty of everything it takes to make them comfortable, but we leave our mark wherever we go, as it is the general aim to live as much as possible off of the rbls.  The next morning after Christmas it commenced raining and it made the roads very bad, but upon the whole we got along first rate.

           Louisa; [.....] because my letter is short I dont want thee to patronize it, for thy letters are always full of advice and inflamation [information] that I need.  Thee could not fill a letter to suit me better if thee was to try ever so hard for I get all the neighborhood news from other sources, and a letter teaching morality and the way to joys eternally in the heavens is of vast importantance to me [.....] for I know I have been living a sluggish life and one far beneath my privilege and duty to live [.....].  Me and Frank are both well, hearty and in fine spirits and hope this will find you all the same.  Louisa: thee has never said or done anything that affronted me in the least, and on the other hand I am under a thousand obligations to thee for thy kindness etc. from youth, up to the present.

             So farewell dear Sister,   Harrison Talbert

      [Available to the first 100 e-mail respondents who include their mailing address.  FREE CD that includes a quality scanned copy of each letter in Harrison B. Talbert's collection plus enlightening historical data and CW memorabilia graphics.  If you use Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator and enjoyed any portion of these letters, you will enjoy the CD.  Send request and mailing address to jahultqu@...  ]