Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Interesting article on CW

  • M. E. Heatherington
    Message 1 of 242 , Sep 28, 2002
      Your point about language is quite sound, except that the term "Great
      American Desert" referred, not to the true desert of the Southwest, but to
      the Great Plains. People from "back East" looked at, say, Nebraska and
      figured their lives were over, for who could possibly survive in such a
      (comparatively) treeless, waterless, arid land? Completely overlooking the
      fact, of course, that people certainly DID survive and thrive . . . and that
      there WERE trees, grasses, water-courses, just not what the immigrants were
      used to.

      >From: David Kowalski <kywddavid@...>
      >To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Interesting article on CW
      >Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 11:09:45 -0700 (PDT)
      >
      >One of the old pre-Ronald Reagan Death Valley Days
      >talked about a rogue camel invading an Arizona town
      >post CW. Interesting that the Great American Desert
      >of the mid 1800's vanished, replaced by heavily
      >populated areas today. In some cases, the old
      >language reflected realities that were ignored, in
      >some cases the "realitities" were at least somewhat
      >overcome by irrigation and engineering.
      >
      >--- FLYNSWEDE@... wrote:
      > > In a message dated 9/28/2002 1:08:27 PM Eastern
      > > Daylight Time,
      > > meheatherington@... writes:
      > >

      > > > Also, if you like oddities, check out the pre-War
      > > camels, plus Arab
      > > > driver, ordered up for Arizona duty by
      > > then-Secretary of War Jeff
      > > > Davis. My dad told me that story when I was a kid
      > > in Tucson; I
      > > > didn't believe him, but he was right.
      > >
      > > I have heard that there are still a few descendents
      > > of those camels that are
      > > still roaming the desert, primarily South of Yuma.
      > > Here was a case of a good
      > > idea that turned sour because of the implementation.
      > >
      > > Wayne

      >New DSL Internet Access from SBC & Yahoo!
      >http://sbc.yahoo.com

    • Bob Huddleston
      Message 242 of 242 , Nov 2, 2002
        A good reason why any published OR quotation needs to be cross checked
        against the hard bound!

        Guild Press is excellent at accepting typos found in their CD. Send them
        to typo@...

        Guild Press has done a fantastic job in catching typos, although a few
        slipped through. When cross-checked, I find that they were in cases
        where the original was printed lightly or blurred.

        BTW, I am always amazed at how few typos there are in the original ORs!
        Boy, those folk had great spell-checkers on their typesetters!

        Take care,

        Bob

        Judy and Bob Huddleston
        10643 Sperry Street