Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Drill of Forrest's, Wharton's, and Wheeler's Cavalry

  • LWhite64@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 8 4:57 PM
      Wheeler's book replaced Poinsett's in use along with what ever else that
      Forrest and Wheer were useing in December of 1863, so before that...who
      knows, also note that Wheeler basically took stuff from several books and
      published them as his own, kind of like what Hardee did with the French
      tactics. Also note though that the western cav was something unique, by 1863
      one regiment in every brigade of Wheeler's command had sabres, and thus
      called Sabre Regiments, the rest were armed with Rifles and Muskets and were
      expected to dismount and fight the Sabre Regiments being held back for a
      charge when needed, the 8th Texas was one of these, but didnt have sabres,
      they used pistols instead.

      Lee
    • Troy Groves
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 11 1:05 PM
        Lee,
        I was wondering if you could give me any sources for more information on
        these "Sabre Regiments." I've seen Terry's referred to as a "Charging Unit"
        before and inspection reports for the brigade show a rather strong lack of
        pistols among the other regiments in their brigade. Has anyone documented or
        even written on Wheeler's manner of organizing his forces?
        Troy Groves
        Online Archive for Terry's Texas Rangers
        http://www.TerrysTexasRangers.org
        "The Rangers are a cyclone and a wonder; the Mamalukes are not comparable to
        them, they move like the wind, and have absolutely no fear or regard for
        results." -Gen. Leonidas Polk