Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Drill of Forrest's, Wharton's, and Wheeler's Cavalry

  • Troy Groves
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 8, 2002
      Pete,
      Thanks for the information. I've not seen Poinsett's Manual. Do you know
      if it is possible to obtain copies of it today? I also received information
      that later in the war, the Rangers would have very likely been operating
      under a manual that Joseph Wheeler published since they were under his
      command. Does anyone know anything about this manual?
      __________
      Troy Groves
      Online Archive for Terry's Texas Rangers
      http://www.TerrysTexasRangers.org
      Gen Hood, in passing over a battle field, found a dead man with spurs on,
      and he at once said to an aid, "Go over to Gen. Thomas Harrison and tell him
      one of his men lays over here unburied." Said the aide, "But general, it may
      not be one of his men." "Yes, but it is very likely, when you find a dead
      man with spurs on, he is either a Texan or some fellow who was with them in
      the fight."

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 8, 2002
        Wheeler's book replaced Poinsett's in use along with what ever else that
        Forrest and Wheer were useing in December of 1863, so before that...who
        knows, also note that Wheeler basically took stuff from several books and
        published them as his own, kind of like what Hardee did with the French
        tactics. Also note though that the western cav was something unique, by 1863
        one regiment in every brigade of Wheeler's command had sabres, and thus
        called Sabre Regiments, the rest were armed with Rifles and Muskets and were
        expected to dismount and fight the Sabre Regiments being held back for a
        charge when needed, the 8th Texas was one of these, but didnt have sabres,
        they used pistols instead.

        Lee
      • Troy Groves
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 11, 2002
          Lee,
          I was wondering if you could give me any sources for more information on
          these "Sabre Regiments." I've seen Terry's referred to as a "Charging Unit"
          before and inspection reports for the brigade show a rather strong lack of
          pistols among the other regiments in their brigade. Has anyone documented or
          even written on Wheeler's manner of organizing his forces?
          Troy Groves
          Online Archive for Terry's Texas Rangers
          http://www.TerrysTexasRangers.org
          "The Rangers are a cyclone and a wonder; the Mamalukes are not comparable to
          them, they move like the wind, and have absolutely no fear or regard for
          results." -Gen. Leonidas Polk