Sabine Pass

  • carlw4514
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2002
      The anniversary of the remarkable Confederate Victory at Sabine Pass,
      Sept 8 1863, is coming up.
      http://www2.cr.nps.gov/abpp/battles/tx006.htm
      The practice of having marked artillery ranges had paid off. It should
      be noted that no Union Ironclads made the trip; perhaps still limping
      from activities on the east coast?
      http://www.multied.com/Navy/cwnavalhistory/April1863.html
      IIRC there was some distraction for the Ironclads, anyway, if it was
      not Charleston.

      Speaking of Banks, the above does not mention it, but I believe I have
      it right that this attempt to take the area was a preamble to a Banks
      lead invasion of Texas via this route, and I do believe it is true
      that Banks was agitating for this campaign. I'll try to look that up,
      or perhaps someone will know.
      Carl