Re: Drill of Forrest's, Wharton's, and Wheeler's Cavalry

  • ltcpataylor
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 6, 2002
      Troy,

      Hope this helps.

      "Poinsett's "Cavalry Tactics" Manual Joel Roberts Poinsett, who today
      is best remembered for his work as a botanist, introducing a Mexican
      flower to the U.S. (later named the Poinsettia in his honor), wrote
      the first official tactics manual for mounted dragoons and cavalry.
      It was approved and published in 1841 by the War Department, known by
      troopers then as simply "Poinsett's Tactics." These were the cavalry
      tactics taught at the military academy at West Point up to and during
      the war. Poinsett's work taught a double-rank formation for combat,
      much different than a new manual to be published just before the
      Civil War began by Philip St. George Cooke, whose manual taught the
      long, single-rank formation for combat."

      Pete Taylor
      Clarksburg, WV
    • Troy Groves
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 8, 2002
        Pete,
        Thanks for the information. I've not seen Poinsett's Manual. Do you know
        if it is possible to obtain copies of it today? I also received information
        that later in the war, the Rangers would have very likely been operating
        under a manual that Joseph Wheeler published since they were under his
        command. Does anyone know anything about this manual?
        __________
        Troy Groves
        Online Archive for Terry's Texas Rangers
        http://www.TerrysTexasRangers.org
        Gen Hood, in passing over a battle field, found a dead man with spurs on,
        and he at once said to an aid, "Go over to Gen. Thomas Harrison and tell him
        one of his men lays over here unburied." Said the aide, "But general, it may
        not be one of his men." "Yes, but it is very likely, when you find a dead
        man with spurs on, he is either a Texan or some fellow who was with them in
        the fight."

      • LWhite64@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 8, 2002
          Wheeler's book replaced Poinsett's in use along with what ever else that
          Forrest and Wheer were useing in December of 1863, so before that...who
          knows, also note that Wheeler basically took stuff from several books and
          published them as his own, kind of like what Hardee did with the French
          tactics. Also note though that the western cav was something unique, by 1863
          one regiment in every brigade of Wheeler's command had sabres, and thus
          called Sabre Regiments, the rest were armed with Rifles and Muskets and were
          expected to dismount and fight the Sabre Regiments being held back for a
          charge when needed, the 8th Texas was one of these, but didnt have sabres,
          they used pistols instead.

          Lee
        • Troy Groves
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 11, 2002
            Lee,
            I was wondering if you could give me any sources for more information on
            these "Sabre Regiments." I've seen Terry's referred to as a "Charging Unit"
            before and inspection reports for the brigade show a rather strong lack of
            pistols among the other regiments in their brigade. Has anyone documented or
            even written on Wheeler's manner of organizing his forces?
            Troy Groves
            Online Archive for Terry's Texas Rangers
            http://www.TerrysTexasRangers.org
            "The Rangers are a cyclone and a wonder; the Mamalukes are not comparable to
            them, they move like the wind, and have absolutely no fear or regard for
            results." -Gen. Leonidas Polk