Drill of Forrest's, Wharton's, and Wheeler's Cavalry

  • Troy Groves
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 6, 2002
      I was wondering if anyone knew of any sources that might indicate what
      manual of instruction was used by Confederate Cavalry of the Western
      Theater. I am particularly interested in the 8th Texas Cavaalry but haven't
      found anything yet and thought perhaps someone might know if drill was
      standardized beyond the regimental level or at least have reference to a
      particular manual being in widespread use among Western Theter Confederate
      Cavalry.

      Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.
      __________
      Troy Groves
      Online Archive for Terry's Texas Rangers
      http://www.TerrysTexasRangers.org
      "With a little more drill you are the equals of the 'Old Guard' of
      Napoleon." -Gen. A. S. Johnston
    • ltcpataylor
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 6, 2002
        Troy,

        Hope this helps.

        "Poinsett's "Cavalry Tactics" Manual Joel Roberts Poinsett, who today
        is best remembered for his work as a botanist, introducing a Mexican
        flower to the U.S. (later named the Poinsettia in his honor), wrote
        the first official tactics manual for mounted dragoons and cavalry.
        It was approved and published in 1841 by the War Department, known by
        troopers then as simply "Poinsett's Tactics." These were the cavalry
        tactics taught at the military academy at West Point up to and during
        the war. Poinsett's work taught a double-rank formation for combat,
        much different than a new manual to be published just before the
        Civil War began by Philip St. George Cooke, whose manual taught the
        long, single-rank formation for combat."

        Pete Taylor
        Clarksburg, WV
      • Troy Groves
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 8, 2002
          Pete,
          Thanks for the information. I've not seen Poinsett's Manual. Do you know
          if it is possible to obtain copies of it today? I also received information
          that later in the war, the Rangers would have very likely been operating
          under a manual that Joseph Wheeler published since they were under his
          command. Does anyone know anything about this manual?
          __________
          Troy Groves
          Online Archive for Terry's Texas Rangers
          http://www.TerrysTexasRangers.org
          Gen Hood, in passing over a battle field, found a dead man with spurs on,
          and he at once said to an aid, "Go over to Gen. Thomas Harrison and tell him
          one of his men lays over here unburied." Said the aide, "But general, it may
          not be one of his men." "Yes, but it is very likely, when you find a dead
          man with spurs on, he is either a Texan or some fellow who was with them in
          the fight."

        • LWhite64@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 8, 2002
            Wheeler's book replaced Poinsett's in use along with what ever else that
            Forrest and Wheer were useing in December of 1863, so before that...who
            knows, also note that Wheeler basically took stuff from several books and
            published them as his own, kind of like what Hardee did with the French
            tactics. Also note though that the western cav was something unique, by 1863
            one regiment in every brigade of Wheeler's command had sabres, and thus
            called Sabre Regiments, the rest were armed with Rifles and Muskets and were
            expected to dismount and fight the Sabre Regiments being held back for a
            charge when needed, the 8th Texas was one of these, but didnt have sabres,
            they used pistols instead.

            Lee
          • Troy Groves
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 11, 2002
              Lee,
              I was wondering if you could give me any sources for more information on
              these "Sabre Regiments." I've seen Terry's referred to as a "Charging Unit"
              before and inspection reports for the brigade show a rather strong lack of
              pistols among the other regiments in their brigade. Has anyone documented or
              even written on Wheeler's manner of organizing his forces?
              Troy Groves
              Online Archive for Terry's Texas Rangers
              http://www.TerrysTexasRangers.org
              "The Rangers are a cyclone and a wonder; the Mamalukes are not comparable to
              them, they move like the wind, and have absolutely no fear or regard for
              results." -Gen. Leonidas Polk