Re: avalon hill war game

  • carlw4514
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 3, 2002
      That Gettysburg civil war game is still available, the site
      http://www.secondchancegames.com/
      probably has it and it is traded quite often on ebay.
      Bob, you may know I have been trolling for interest in avalon hill
      games -- especially to work on play by email variants to a particular
      game which has the scope of the entire war; I have come up with around
      a half dozen people who might be interested in this and would love to
      hear from ANYONE WHO MIGHT BE INTERESTED via private email [
      carlw4514@... , Is it nuts to give that out here?]I really think
      a really large proportion of the people from this website could get
      into this project.
      see also:
      http://www.militarygaming.com/
      http://www.militarygaming.com/forum/general/default.asp
      Carl
      --- In civilwarwest@y..., "bobaldrich2001" <aldrichr@d...> wrote:
      > Joe H.,
      >
      > I got interested at age 7 when my Dad took the family to Gettysburg
      > in 1959. Before we left he got us setting up the battle on the
      > living room floor, with hundreds of toy soldiers (of all eras!) and
      > sofa cushions for little and big round top. Supposedly the family
      > myth goes that by the time we got to Gettysburg we kids were ready to
      > set the expert guides straight on several aspects of the battle, but
      > personally I doubt it. Later we got the Gettysburg Avalon Hill war
      > game (anybody remember that?) and played it endlessly. I also recall
      > reading a Shelby Foote picture history book and making a scrapbook
      > out of pictures from the Life magazine centennial issue(s) in the
      > 1960s. And reading a kids' book on Confederate cavalrymen
      > called "Swords Stars and Bars". But I didn't learn much about the
      > Western theater until joining this forum 40 years later.
      >
      > I haven't seen the Burns series (hope to catch some of it this time
      > around) but I question why a fascinating TV story couldn't be made
      > out of the lead up to the war - the country was being torn apart at
      > the seams, for crying out loud! Personally I think that if that
      > part was given short shrift it would be mainly due to the notorious
      > sensitivity of "causes" issues. But enough said about that!
      >
      > Bob A.

    • Dan Cone
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 3, 2002
        >you may know I have been trolling for interest in avalon hill
        >games -- especially to work on play by email variants to a particular
        >game which has the scope of the entire war; I have come up with around
        >a half dozen people who might be interested in this and would love to
        >hear from ANYONE WHO MIGHT BE INTERESTED via private email [
        >carlw4514@...

        Count me in!

        Dan

      • hartshje
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 3, 2002
          Bob,

          Sounds like you've got about 10 years on me (I was two in '59). I
          also had the A.H. games, and recreated the battles with 100's of
          multi-era HO-25mm soldiers. But that was ok, it helped differentiate
          divisions and corps, and created quite a colorful effect! Nothing
          quite like a brigade of Mongolians trying to carry Little Round Top
          defended by some WWI British infantry! :-) I still have quite a
          collection, and these go for a pretty penny on e-Bay by the way.
          Anyway, I remember reenacting Shiloh, Stones River, Chickamauga, and
          Franklin as well as the big battles of the East. So there must have
          been SOME info around in those days about the West, but nothing like
          it is now. Did you have the book "Heros in Blue and Gray" by Robert
          Alter (1965)? I recently picked up a copy off of e-Bay. And as I
          have mentioned on CWW before, "Rifles for Waite" and "The Battle of
          Gettysburg", American Heritage Junior Library (by B.Catton) were my
          teething books.

          Joe H.

          --- In civilwarwest@y..., "bobaldrich2001" <aldrichr@d...> wrote:
          > Joe H.,
          >
          > I got interested at age 7 when my Dad took the family to Gettysburg
          > in 1959. Before we left he got us setting up the battle on the
          > living room floor, with hundreds of toy soldiers (of all eras!) and
          > sofa cushions for little and big round top. Supposedly the family
          > myth goes that by the time we got to Gettysburg we kids were ready
          > to set the expert guides straight on several aspects of the battle,
          > but personally I doubt it. Later we got the Gettysburg Avalon Hill
          > war game (anybody remember that?) and played it endlessly. I also
          > recall reading a Shelby Foote picture history book and making a
          > scrapbook out of pictures from the Life magazine centennial issues
          > in the 1960s. And reading a kids' book on Confederate cavalrymen
          > called "Swords Stars and Bars". But I didn't learn much about the
          > Western theater until joining this forum 40 years later.
          >
          > I haven't seen the Burns series (hope to catch some of it this time
          > around) but I question why a fascinating TV story couldn't be made
          > out of the lead up to the war - the country was being torn apart at
          > the seams, for crying out loud! Personally I think that if that
          > part was given short shrift it would be mainly due to the notorious
          > sensitivity of "causes" issues. But enough said about that!
          >
          > Bob A.

        • josepharose
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 3, 2002
            There is a Civil War On-Line (CWOL) game which may be of interest:
            http://www.distance-simulations.org/game_links.htm
            is a main links page for the game.

            It's very complex, with different modules for the military,
            economic, political, and foreign affairs spheres.

            Unfortunately, I found it to be neither satisfying as a simulation
            nor as a wargame. There is no unit facing and the fatigue tables
            are very strange. The rulebook could use some revision, as well.
            Many, however, appear to like it.

            The people involved, there are about 40 on each side, seem to be
            very nice.

            You may wish to give it a try.

            Joseph

          • carlw4514
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 4, 2002
              as an online game, this has some popularity, and may not be the only
              one of its kind. I was never sure I would like it, so your experience
              is telling. Perhaps someone else will comment.