Re: Bearing Testimony: Engaged in War

  • bobaldrich2001
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 3, 2002
      Joe H.,

      I got interested at age 7 when my Dad took the family to Gettysburg
      in 1959. Before we left he got us setting up the battle on the
      living room floor, with hundreds of toy soldiers (of all eras!) and
      sofa cushions for little and big round top. Supposedly the family
      myth goes that by the time we got to Gettysburg we kids were ready to
      set the expert guides straight on several aspects of the battle, but
      personally I doubt it. Later we got the Gettysburg Avalon Hill war
      game (anybody remember that?) and played it endlessly. I also recall
      reading a Shelby Foote picture history book and making a scrapbook
      out of pictures from the Life magazine centennial issue(s) in the
      1960s. And reading a kids' book on Confederate cavalrymen
      called "Swords Stars and Bars". But I didn't learn much about the
      Western theater until joining this forum 40 years later.

      I haven't seen the Burns series (hope to catch some of it this time
      around) but I question why a fascinating TV story couldn't be made
      out of the lead up to the war - the country was being torn apart at
      the seams, for crying out loud! Personally I think that if that
      part was given short shrift it would be mainly due to the notorious
      sensitivity of "causes" issues. But enough said about that!

      Bob A.

      --- In civilwarwest@y..., "hartshje" <Hartshje@a...> wrote:
      > Personally, I think every generation in it's turn has to be re-
      > awakened to things of the past. It's kind of funny reading all
      these
      > posts about Burns and McPherson. I truly enjoyed Burns' series
      (own
      > it) and thought he did a masterful job of helping to bring history
      > alive! That's what is pertinent. As for me, I got started off on
      > Catton, Foote, Sword, heck the Encyclopedia Americana even (which
      had
      > some great detailed descriptions of the tactical side of battles).
      > haven't even read McPherson yet, having already read hundreds of
      > books and articles, but I will get "a round tuit". I don't even
      > think Burns was born yet when I started reading Civil War. And I'm
      > sure that goes for many others of us.
      >
      > Joe H.
      >
      > --- In civilwarwest@y..., "Robert\(Bob\) Taubman" <rtaubman@r...>
      > wrote:
      > > I happened to be in Washington, D.C. at the time Burns' series
      was
      > on tv. We
      > > ended up going to Arlington Cemetery and after that I knew I had
      > have more of
      > > the same. I ended up purchasing Foote's trilogy and now my room
      is
      > full of
      > > books on the ACW. Burns' series may not have been the definitive
      > study on the
      > > conflict but for me it was the start of a never-ending journey.
      > >
      > > Thankx Mr. Burns.

      Century."

      > > Ken Burns' series is pop culture. It's purty pictures and purty
      > > music and purty voices, and the barest whiff of Western Theater
      > > (which I saw as a lack even in my untutored days.) I guess that's
      > why
      > > we have message boards like this, which sometimes remind me of a
      nit
      > > comb.
      > >
      > > Billie
      > >

      > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • carlw4514
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 3, 2002
        That Gettysburg civil war game is still available, the site
        http://www.secondchancegames.com/
        probably has it and it is traded quite often on ebay.
        Bob, you may know I have been trolling for interest in avalon hill
        games -- especially to work on play by email variants to a particular
        game which has the scope of the entire war; I have come up with around
        a half dozen people who might be interested in this and would love to
        hear from ANYONE WHO MIGHT BE INTERESTED via private email [
        carlw4514@... , Is it nuts to give that out here?]I really think
        a really large proportion of the people from this website could get
        into this project.
        see also:
        http://www.militarygaming.com/
        http://www.militarygaming.com/forum/general/default.asp
        Carl
        --- In civilwarwest@y..., "bobaldrich2001" <aldrichr@d...> wrote:
        > Joe H.,
        >
        > I got interested at age 7 when my Dad took the family to Gettysburg
        > in 1959. Before we left he got us setting up the battle on the
        > living room floor, with hundreds of toy soldiers (of all eras!) and
        > sofa cushions for little and big round top. Supposedly the family
        > myth goes that by the time we got to Gettysburg we kids were ready to
        > set the expert guides straight on several aspects of the battle, but
        > personally I doubt it. Later we got the Gettysburg Avalon Hill war
        > game (anybody remember that?) and played it endlessly. I also recall
        > reading a Shelby Foote picture history book and making a scrapbook
        > out of pictures from the Life magazine centennial issue(s) in the
        > 1960s. And reading a kids' book on Confederate cavalrymen
        > called "Swords Stars and Bars". But I didn't learn much about the
        > Western theater until joining this forum 40 years later.
        >
        > I haven't seen the Burns series (hope to catch some of it this time
        > around) but I question why a fascinating TV story couldn't be made
        > out of the lead up to the war - the country was being torn apart at
        > the seams, for crying out loud! Personally I think that if that
        > part was given short shrift it would be mainly due to the notorious
        > sensitivity of "causes" issues. But enough said about that!
        >
        > Bob A.

      • Dan Cone
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 3, 2002
          >you may know I have been trolling for interest in avalon hill
          >games -- especially to work on play by email variants to a particular
          >game which has the scope of the entire war; I have come up with around
          >a half dozen people who might be interested in this and would love to
          >hear from ANYONE WHO MIGHT BE INTERESTED via private email [
          >carlw4514@...

          Count me in!

          Dan

        • hartshje
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 3, 2002
            Bob,

            Sounds like you've got about 10 years on me (I was two in '59). I
            also had the A.H. games, and recreated the battles with 100's of
            multi-era HO-25mm soldiers. But that was ok, it helped differentiate
            divisions and corps, and created quite a colorful effect! Nothing
            quite like a brigade of Mongolians trying to carry Little Round Top
            defended by some WWI British infantry! :-) I still have quite a
            collection, and these go for a pretty penny on e-Bay by the way.
            Anyway, I remember reenacting Shiloh, Stones River, Chickamauga, and
            Franklin as well as the big battles of the East. So there must have
            been SOME info around in those days about the West, but nothing like
            it is now. Did you have the book "Heros in Blue and Gray" by Robert
            Alter (1965)? I recently picked up a copy off of e-Bay. And as I
            have mentioned on CWW before, "Rifles for Waite" and "The Battle of
            Gettysburg", American Heritage Junior Library (by B.Catton) were my
            teething books.

            Joe H.

            --- In civilwarwest@y..., "bobaldrich2001" <aldrichr@d...> wrote:
            > Joe H.,
            >
            > I got interested at age 7 when my Dad took the family to Gettysburg
            > in 1959. Before we left he got us setting up the battle on the
            > living room floor, with hundreds of toy soldiers (of all eras!) and
            > sofa cushions for little and big round top. Supposedly the family
            > myth goes that by the time we got to Gettysburg we kids were ready
            > to set the expert guides straight on several aspects of the battle,
            > but personally I doubt it. Later we got the Gettysburg Avalon Hill
            > war game (anybody remember that?) and played it endlessly. I also
            > recall reading a Shelby Foote picture history book and making a
            > scrapbook out of pictures from the Life magazine centennial issues
            > in the 1960s. And reading a kids' book on Confederate cavalrymen
            > called "Swords Stars and Bars". But I didn't learn much about the
            > Western theater until joining this forum 40 years later.
            >
            > I haven't seen the Burns series (hope to catch some of it this time
            > around) but I question why a fascinating TV story couldn't be made
            > out of the lead up to the war - the country was being torn apart at
            > the seams, for crying out loud! Personally I think that if that
            > part was given short shrift it would be mainly due to the notorious
            > sensitivity of "causes" issues. But enough said about that!
            >
            > Bob A.

          • josepharose
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 3, 2002
              There is a Civil War On-Line (CWOL) game which may be of interest:
              http://www.distance-simulations.org/game_links.htm
              is a main links page for the game.

              It's very complex, with different modules for the military,
              economic, political, and foreign affairs spheres.

              Unfortunately, I found it to be neither satisfying as a simulation
              nor as a wargame. There is no unit facing and the fatigue tables
              are very strange. The rulebook could use some revision, as well.
              Many, however, appear to like it.

              The people involved, there are about 40 on each side, seem to be
              very nice.

              You may wish to give it a try.

              Joseph

            • carlw4514
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 4, 2002
                as an online game, this has some popularity, and may not be the only
                one of its kind. I was never sure I would like it, so your experience
                is telling. Perhaps someone else will comment.