[civilwarwest] Re: Was it possible for the Confederacy to avoid losing th...

  • MDlongrang@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 19, 1999
      Well said!

      M. Discher
    • MDlongrang@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 19, 1999
        Well said!

        M. Discher
      • Nonums@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 22, 1999
          Jack O'Connor here responding to Waldmar:
          While agreeing with much of your excellent summary, my reaction to Bragg
          is in line with the opinions of many of his generals. Whatever good could be
          said of his organizational ability was dissipated as an army commander. Had
          Hardee, Smith, or Clebourne been given the command, the attack on Missionary
          Ridge etc. would realistically have been different.
          One other point which D.S. Freeman develops very well - the policy of
          defense primarily for the CSA. Lee quite clearly did not accept this and his
          adept handling of Davis demonstrates Lee's philosophy. Had Lee obtained the
          additional troops he wanted prior to Gettysburg, would his tactics have
          differed? Alas, Davis drew the line on that.
          Your comments would be welcomed,
          Yr obt svt,
          Jack O'Connor
        • Nonums@aol.com