Re: Bearing Testimony: Engaged in War

  • hartshje
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 29, 2002
      Personally, I think every generation in it's turn has to be re-
      awakened to things of the past. It's kind of funny reading all these
      posts about Burns and McPherson. I truly enjoyed Burns' series (own
      it) and thought he did a masterful job of helping to bring history
      alive! That's what is pertinent. As for me, I got started off on
      Catton, Foote, Sword, heck the Encyclopedia Americana even (which had
      some great detailed descriptions of the tactical side of battles). I
      haven't even read McPherson yet, having already read hundreds of
      books and articles, but I will get "a round tuit". I don't even
      think Burns was born yet when I started reading Civil War. And I'm
      sure that goes for many others of us.

      Joe H.

      --- In civilwarwest@y..., "Robert\(Bob\) Taubman" <rtaubman@r...>
      wrote:
      > I happened to be in Washington, D.C. at the time Burns' series was
      on tv. We
      > ended up going to Arlington Cemetery and after that I knew I had to
      have more of
      > the same. I ended up purchasing Foote's trilogy and now my room is
      full of
      > books on the ACW. Burns' series may not have been the definitive
      study on the
      > conflict but for me it was the start of a never-ending journey.
      >
      > Thankx Mr. Burns.

      America
      > with Plenty of Time Spent on Political Agendas of the 19th Century."
      >
      > Ken Burns' series is pop culture. It's purty pictures and purty
      > music and purty voices, and the barest whiff of Western Theater
      > (which I saw as a lack even in my untutored days.) I guess that's
      why
      > we have message boards like this, which sometimes remind me of a nit
      > comb.
      >
      > Billie
      >

      > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • bobaldrich2001
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 3, 2002
        Joe H.,

        I got interested at age 7 when my Dad took the family to Gettysburg
        in 1959. Before we left he got us setting up the battle on the
        living room floor, with hundreds of toy soldiers (of all eras!) and
        sofa cushions for little and big round top. Supposedly the family
        myth goes that by the time we got to Gettysburg we kids were ready to
        set the expert guides straight on several aspects of the battle, but
        personally I doubt it. Later we got the Gettysburg Avalon Hill war
        game (anybody remember that?) and played it endlessly. I also recall
        reading a Shelby Foote picture history book and making a scrapbook
        out of pictures from the Life magazine centennial issue(s) in the
        1960s. And reading a kids' book on Confederate cavalrymen
        called "Swords Stars and Bars". But I didn't learn much about the
        Western theater until joining this forum 40 years later.

        I haven't seen the Burns series (hope to catch some of it this time
        around) but I question why a fascinating TV story couldn't be made
        out of the lead up to the war - the country was being torn apart at
        the seams, for crying out loud! Personally I think that if that
        part was given short shrift it would be mainly due to the notorious
        sensitivity of "causes" issues. But enough said about that!

        Bob A.

      • carlw4514
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 3, 2002
          That Gettysburg civil war game is still available, the site
          http://www.secondchancegames.com/
          probably has it and it is traded quite often on ebay.
          Bob, you may know I have been trolling for interest in avalon hill
          games -- especially to work on play by email variants to a particular
          game which has the scope of the entire war; I have come up with around
          a half dozen people who might be interested in this and would love to
          hear from ANYONE WHO MIGHT BE INTERESTED via private email [
          carlw4514@... , Is it nuts to give that out here?]I really think
          a really large proportion of the people from this website could get
          into this project.
          see also:
          http://www.militarygaming.com/
          http://www.militarygaming.com/forum/general/default.asp
          Carl
          --- In civilwarwest@y..., "bobaldrich2001" <aldrichr@d...> wrote:
          > Joe H.,
          >
          > I got interested at age 7 when my Dad took the family to Gettysburg
          > in 1959. Before we left he got us setting up the battle on the
          > living room floor, with hundreds of toy soldiers (of all eras!) and
          > sofa cushions for little and big round top. Supposedly the family
          > myth goes that by the time we got to Gettysburg we kids were ready to
          > set the expert guides straight on several aspects of the battle, but
          > personally I doubt it. Later we got the Gettysburg Avalon Hill war
          > game (anybody remember that?) and played it endlessly. I also recall
          > reading a Shelby Foote picture history book and making a scrapbook
          > out of pictures from the Life magazine centennial issue(s) in the
          > 1960s. And reading a kids' book on Confederate cavalrymen
          > called "Swords Stars and Bars". But I didn't learn much about the
          > Western theater until joining this forum 40 years later.
          >
          > I haven't seen the Burns series (hope to catch some of it this time
          > around) but I question why a fascinating TV story couldn't be made
          > out of the lead up to the war - the country was being torn apart at
          > the seams, for crying out loud! Personally I think that if that
          > part was given short shrift it would be mainly due to the notorious
          > sensitivity of "causes" issues. But enough said about that!
          >
          > Bob A.

        • Dan Cone
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 3, 2002
            >you may know I have been trolling for interest in avalon hill
            >games -- especially to work on play by email variants to a particular
            >game which has the scope of the entire war; I have come up with around
            >a half dozen people who might be interested in this and would love to
            >hear from ANYONE WHO MIGHT BE INTERESTED via private email [
            >carlw4514@...

            Count me in!

            Dan

          • hartshje
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 3, 2002
              Bob,

              Sounds like you've got about 10 years on me (I was two in '59). I
              also had the A.H. games, and recreated the battles with 100's of
              multi-era HO-25mm soldiers. But that was ok, it helped differentiate
              divisions and corps, and created quite a colorful effect! Nothing
              quite like a brigade of Mongolians trying to carry Little Round Top
              defended by some WWI British infantry! :-) I still have quite a
              collection, and these go for a pretty penny on e-Bay by the way.
              Anyway, I remember reenacting Shiloh, Stones River, Chickamauga, and
              Franklin as well as the big battles of the East. So there must have
              been SOME info around in those days about the West, but nothing like
              it is now. Did you have the book "Heros in Blue and Gray" by Robert
              Alter (1965)? I recently picked up a copy off of e-Bay. And as I
              have mentioned on CWW before, "Rifles for Waite" and "The Battle of
              Gettysburg", American Heritage Junior Library (by B.Catton) were my
              teething books.

              Joe H.

              --- In civilwarwest@y..., "bobaldrich2001" <aldrichr@d...> wrote:
              > Joe H.,
              >
              > I got interested at age 7 when my Dad took the family to Gettysburg
              > in 1959. Before we left he got us setting up the battle on the
              > living room floor, with hundreds of toy soldiers (of all eras!) and
              > sofa cushions for little and big round top. Supposedly the family
              > myth goes that by the time we got to Gettysburg we kids were ready
              > to set the expert guides straight on several aspects of the battle,
              > but personally I doubt it. Later we got the Gettysburg Avalon Hill
              > war game (anybody remember that?) and played it endlessly. I also
              > recall reading a Shelby Foote picture history book and making a
              > scrapbook out of pictures from the Life magazine centennial issues
              > in the 1960s. And reading a kids' book on Confederate cavalrymen
              > called "Swords Stars and Bars". But I didn't learn much about the
              > Western theater until joining this forum 40 years later.
              >
              > I haven't seen the Burns series (hope to catch some of it this time
              > around) but I question why a fascinating TV story couldn't be made
              > out of the lead up to the war - the country was being torn apart at
              > the seams, for crying out loud! Personally I think that if that
              > part was given short shrift it would be mainly due to the notorious
              > sensitivity of "causes" issues. But enough said about that!
              >
              > Bob A.

            • josepharose
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 3, 2002
                There is a Civil War On-Line (CWOL) game which may be of interest:
                http://www.distance-simulations.org/game_links.htm
                is a main links page for the game.

                It's very complex, with different modules for the military,
                economic, political, and foreign affairs spheres.

                Unfortunately, I found it to be neither satisfying as a simulation
                nor as a wargame. There is no unit facing and the fatigue tables
                are very strange. The rulebook could use some revision, as well.
                Many, however, appear to like it.

                The people involved, there are about 40 on each side, seem to be
                very nice.

                You may wish to give it a try.

                Joseph

              • carlw4514
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 4, 2002
                  as an online game, this has some popularity, and may not be the only
                  one of its kind. I was never sure I would like it, so your experience
                  is telling. Perhaps someone else will comment.