[civilwarwest] Surrender at Appomattox

  • JackEhmer123@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 18, 1999
      This may not be the correct forum for this question, but I will bet that
      there are several out there who can answer a question for me: Who were the
      officers present in the room at the McLean House for the signing of the
      surrender? In particular, I am referring to the painting, "Surrender at
      Appomattox", by Tom Lovell. The Union officer at the far right has been
      identified to me as either Custer or Chamberlain. In fact, this picture may
      or may not be historically accurate. From Chamberlain's, "Passing of the
      Armies", it does not appear that he was in the room. Thanks for your help.

      Jack Ehmer
    • Bryan D. McRaven
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 18, 1999
        Jack,
        The painting to which you reffer is historically accurate. The
        gentleman in gray standing beside Lee is his secretary Lt. Col. Charles
        Marshall. Standing around Gen. Grant, from left to right are; Gen. Phil
        Sheridan, Col. Orville E. Babcock, Lt.Col. Horace Porter, Maj. Gen. Edward
        O.C. Ord, Maj. Gen. Seth Williams, Col. Theodore S. Bowers, Col. Ely S.
        Parker, and Maj. Gen. George A. Custer.

        Hope this helps,

        Dameron
        > This may not be the correct forum for this question, but I will bet that
        > there are several out there who can answer a question for me: Who were the
        > officers present in the room at the McLean House for the signing of the
        > surrender? In particular, I am referring to the painting, "Surrender at
        > Appomattox", by Tom Lovell. The Union officer at the far right has been
        > identified to me as either Custer or Chamberlain. In fact, this picture
        may
        > or may not be historically accurate. From Chamberlain's, "Passing of the
        > Armies", it does not appear that he was in the room. Thanks for your help.
        >

        > Jack Ehmer

        > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest

      • Don Myers
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 18, 1999
          Bryan,

          I wouldn't swear to this, I thought that I had read somewhere that Custer
          was not actually in the same room for the surrender because it was too
          crowded. That he had to witness it from another room or hallway or
          something. Further, that Phil Sheridan felt bad that Custer couldn't be in
          there, so he purchased the table the surrender signing took place on from
          Mr. MacClean, and presented it to Custer as a present.

          Like I said, I "heard" or read this somewhere, whether it has any factual
          basis to it or not I could not vouch for.
          Your Obedient Servant;
          > The painting to which you reffer is historically accurate. The
          >gentleman in gray standing beside Lee is his secretary Lt. Col. Charles
          >Marshall. Standing around Gen. Grant, from left to right are; Gen. Phil
          >Sheridan, Col. Orville E. Babcock, Lt.Col. Horace Porter, Maj. Gen. Edward
          >O.C. Ord, Maj. Gen. Seth Williams, Col. Theodore S. Bowers, Col. Ely S.
          >Parker, and Maj. Gen. George A. Custer.
          >
          >Hope this helps,
          >
          >Dameron

          • P. B. Jones
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 19, 1999
              Don, Bryan and all,

              I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the web page, but read with great interest information on  Appomattox Surrender and other various artistic renderings of the event at http://www.mscomm.com/~ulysses/page179.html .  At the bottom of the page is a link which refers to the surrender furniture and the Custer connection.  http://www.150.si.edu/150trav/remember/r316.htm

              Best regards.

              Pat

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 19, 1999
                Don, Bryan and all,

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 2, 1999
                  In a message dated 10/18/1999 7:05:04 PM Mountain Daylight Time,

                  << Subj: [civilwarwest] Re: Surrender at Appomattox
                  Date: 10/18/1999 7:05:04 PM Mountain Daylight Time
                  From: dameron@... (Bryan D. McRaven)
                  To: civilwarwest@egroups.com

                  Jack,
                  The painting to which you reffer is historically accurate. The
                  gentleman in gray standing beside Lee is his secretary Lt. Col. Charles
                  Marshall. Standing around Gen. Grant, from left to right are; Gen. Phil
                  Sheridan, Col. Orville E. Babcock, Lt.Col. Horace Porter, Maj. Gen. Edward
                  O.C. Ord, Maj. Gen. Seth Williams, Col. Theodore S. Bowers, Col. Ely S.
                  Parker, and Maj. Gen. George A. Custer.

                  Hope this helps, >>

                  Thanks to Bryan for this answer and to all of the other replies. I was able
                  to get a copy of "The Art of Tom Lovell", which states verbatim the above
                  attendance. According to Robert Hendrickson's, "The Road to Appomattox", also
                  in the room were Generals Rollins, Merritt, Barnard, and Ingalls and Colonels
                  Morgan and Boudeau (sp?).

                  Hendrickson casts some doubt if Custer was actually in the room. I also found
                  the link to the Smithsonian very useful, which states that Generals Ord and
                  Sheridan "bought" the two tables from the Mcleans. Ord offered one table to
                  Julia Grant, which she declined, and Sheridan gave the other to Libby Custer.

                  Thanks,

                  Jack Ehmer
                • JackEhmer123@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 2, 1999