Re: [civilwarwest] Grant vs. Thomas, NO MORE!!!!!

  • LWhite64@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 8, 2002
      Shotgun,
             Thank You.

      Lee
    • Dick Weeks
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 8, 2002
        Good Evening Folks,

        I have been following the thread??? for several days on Lookout Mountain and
        have decided it was time I stepped in. First let me say that I started this
        group so I could learn about the war in the West, not because I knew a lot
        about it. Thus, the reason for my not chiming in on the threads. My
        expertise lies in the East. Heck, I live within 20 miles of Manassas, 57
        miles of Antietam, and 75 miles of Gettysburg. Why in the world would I
        start a group that dealt with only the Western Theater? The answer is very
        simple, as I said before, so I could learn. I learn nothing by the the
        bickering about how great/terrible Grant was, or how great/terrible Thomas
        was. This subject is done!! and I don't give a flying dork how it comes up
        again, I will see no more of it!! If this subject must be continued, please
        do it in another group and use this one to "explain" the war in the West,
        not determine if Grant was an A__ hole! No more of this. I promise you
        that I will unsubscribe the next offender regardless if they broke the basic
        rules or not. I am very sorry to have to use this kind of post. Please
        forgive me, but the group cannot continue down this trail.

        By the way, I also have been following the Johnston thread. Some of the
        folks in this group belonged to a Chatroom sometime time back that had a
        member named "Irish" (his real name was Dr. Ernest Butner but few of us knew
        that at the time) and he wrote several "What If" type essays for my website.
        These were not written with a lot of study behind them, but were done in the
        course of a day or so. One of them was comparing Joe Johnston with Bobby
        Lee and I thought some of you might be interested in it.

        http://www.civilwarhome.com/johnston.htm

        Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
        http://www.civilwarhome.com
      • Ron Church
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 8, 2002
          I also had the very special and all too brief opportunity to speak with
          Irish. His articles are excellent and never fail to cause you to reconsider
          your preconceived notions...... especially if don't think you have
          preconceived notions.

          Thanks for the link Dick

          Ron Church
          Manchester Md