Sherman's evening of Nov. 25th

  • wh_keene
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 2002
      To add something to last weeks' discussion of whether Sherman was
      insubordinate at the end of the day on the 25th in how he reacted to
      Grant's order that now was the time to attack with vigor, I thought
      the following was interesting:

      "Sherman continued the fight on our right, along the east slope of
      Missionary Ridge, until 9p.m., by the light of the full moon. He
      took 300 prisoners, 13 cannon, and a train of 12 wagons."
      --Dana to Stanton, 10 am Nov 26 [OR Series I, Vol 31, Pt II, pg 69]