Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Grant's lies about Chattanooga

  • basecat1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 267 , Aug 2, 2002
      In a message dated 8/3/2002 12:20:15 AM Central Daylight Time, josepharose@... writes:

      If you look in the ORs, I think that there is a message from Hooker
      on the 24th and he states outright that he thinks Lookout will be
      evacuated.

      IIRC, This is the same Joe Hooker who said he had Robert E. Lee right where he wanted him at Chancellorsville.  Lookout was not evacuated...and they had to attack there.

      Please don't get me wrong, as I am fascinated about Thomas here...and his plans at Nashville were stupendous when that battle was fought...and will go to my grave having deep respect for George Thomas.  He was an american hero, but then again so was Grant...Hell yes...I have problems with Grant....How he treated Thomas...His part in the Warren fiasco in Virginia.  I guess I am odd...as I look to President Lincoln, who said.."He fights."

      Kinda wish Abe had said the same thing about GHT...because, he fought too.

      Regards from the Garden State,

      Steve Basic
    • Aurelie1999@aol.com
      Message 267 of 267 , Aug 8, 2002
        In a message dated 8/8/02 4:25:02 PM, josepharose@... writes:

        << Now, which of the two men, Wood or Grant, had been bending the truth
        (if not breaking it)? I think that the evidence heavily points to
        Grant. Because I think that he did so, I question his integrity,
        here and elsewhere. >>

        Mr. Rose,

        It appears to me that you cherry pick data to support your presumption that
        Grant was a worthless fool. Grant's contemporaries - even enemies - praised
        his integrity to the max. So how come that by standing in the dim hindsight
        of 150 years you are able to see what they did not see?

        Finally please explain why Thomas is incapable of standing on his own merit
        and can only be praised by faulting Grant?

        Connie Boone