Re: Grant's lies about Chattanooga

  • wh_keene
    Message 1 of 267 , Aug 1, 2002
      --- In civilwarwest@y..., "josepharose" <josepharose@y...> wrote:
      > You agree with me, it seems, that Grant made a "mistake in his
      > comment about knowing the Mt. was evacuated" in his memoirs. But
      > Grant did worse than that; he asserted that Hooker's orders
      were "to
      > intercept the enemy's retreat," yet Grant's orders clearly called
      > for moving to the top of the mountain.

      Since Grant's order called for Hooker to get on the Summertown road,
      and since the Summertwon road was the enemy's line of retreat, where
      is the error?
    • Aurelie1999@aol.com
      Message 267 of 267 , Aug 8, 2002
        In a message dated 8/8/02 4:25:02 PM, josepharose@... writes:

        << Now, which of the two men, Wood or Grant, had been bending the truth
        (if not breaking it)? I think that the evidence heavily points to
        Grant. Because I think that he did so, I question his integrity,
        here and elsewhere. >>

        Mr. Rose,

        It appears to me that you cherry pick data to support your presumption that
        Grant was a worthless fool. Grant's contemporaries - even enemies - praised
        his integrity to the max. So how come that by standing in the dim hindsight
        of 150 years you are able to see what they did not see?

        Finally please explain why Thomas is incapable of standing on his own merit
        and can only be praised by faulting Grant?

        Connie Boone