Re: Personal Story Relating to Free State of Jones

  • slippymississippi
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1 8:48 AM
      --- In civilwarwest@y..., "dmsmith001" <dmsmith001@y...> wrote:
      > Ugh.
      >
      > Have you read the new book out on the Free State of Jones?
      >
      > Dave

      I just ordered that book, and "Slave Patrols."

      My friend was pretty emotionally torn up that his GGG-grandfather was
      shot in the Free State of Jones sweep of central Mississippi. He's
      an unreconstructed save-the-flag type who has always asserted that
      there never was a Free State of Jones, and that Knight's men and the
      men caught up in the sweep were bushwackers and bandits.

      I'll give him a few days to recover emotionally, then try to use this
      time to recruit him in the he-man Confederate-haters club.
    • slippymississippi
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1 1:40 PM
        Another website on the "Peace Society:"

        http://www.rmcleod.com/6thalabama/history.htm

        In early December 1863, the dubious quality of the recruits in the
        brigade's infantry regiments came back to haunt CLANTON, and
        permanently changed the mission of all regiments in the brigade. 60
        of 300 men - nearly all from the two infantry regiments - laid down
        their arms while on picket duty near Gonzales (about 15 miles from
        Pensacola), and refused to fight as part of an orchestrated plan by
        the 'Peace Society', a secret organization with special identifying
        handshakes and signals. The so-called 'Peace Men' had earlier roots
        among officers and enlisted men in units of BRAGG's Army of
        Tennessee, especially in East Tennessee. CLANTON addressed the
        problem swiftly and decisively. The military courts that tried the
        mutineers completely vindicated CLANTON, and the cavalry regiments do
        not appear to have been involved. However, the reputation of the
        entire brigade among senior C.S.A. officers was permanently stained,
        and all regiments remained suspect as to their reliability despite
        their subsequent peformance on the battlefield. The regimental
        elements of the brigade seldom fought together as a unified command -
        they were quickly dispersed to 'temporary' assignments in other
        commands away from the home territory that had been their original
        mission and reason for existence.