RR Trestles cont.

  • carlw4514
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31 3:37 PM
    • Carl Williams
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 31 4:03 PM
        How do you spell that anyway? Spell check is fine with
        a couple of different ways, trestle, tressel.
        Many thanks for the replies. Seems like the idea
        caught on in the ACW. It came down to me as a surprise
        move, which would indicate temporary planking, and the
        OR tidbit sounds like permanent planking was put in.
        Could this really have saved the day at Balls Bluff?

        http://health.yahoo.com
      • wh_keene
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 31 4:24 PM
          --- In civilwarwest@y..., Carl Williams <carlw4514@y...> wrote:
          > How do you spell that anyway? Spell check is fine with
          > a couple of different ways, trestle, tressel.
          > Many thanks for the replies. Seems like the idea
          > caught on in the ACW. It came down to me as a surprise
          > move, which would indicate temporary planking, and the
          > OR tidbit sounds like permanent planking was put in.
          > Could this really have saved the day at Balls Bluff?

          > http://health.yahoo.com

          Carl,

          I think he was using the idea of Ball's Bluff as a euphamism for
          being trapped against a river with no bridge to escape across. Its
          not the planking per se but the presence of a useable bridge [key
          point--unplanked the bridge was not very useable] that he is conerned
          about [there was no bridge at all at Ball's Bluff].

          ~Will
        • hartshje
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 31 7:22 PM
            --- In civilwarwest@y..., Carl Williams <carlw4514@y...> wrote:
            > Many thanks for the replies. Seems like the idea
            > caught on in the ACW. It came down to me as a surprise
            > move, which would indicate temporary planking, and the
            > OR tidbit sounds like permanent planking was put in.

            Carl,

            In Time/Life's Civil War Series "The Struggle for Tennessee", page
            76, there is a picture of the RR bridge over the Cumberland River at
            Nashville which shows the planking laid down for horse/mule drawn
            transportation. I knew your original post rang a bell!

            Joe H.
          • fishx111@cs.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 1, 2002
              CARL:

              If we were having a spelling contest it would be trestle not tressel which I
              thought might have something to do with hair.I didn't even know my e mail had
              a spell check, because when I first got the system it did not.Mine doesn't
              have a grammar check, and I should take more time reviewing it.But having to
              rush one time to answer a complaint in court, I rushed and hand wrote the
              answer, it had grammar errors,and the judge and lawyer must have been pretty
              smart, because truthfully I listed a number of felonies which were turned in
              to the USJD, they had the response for over a year, and they were smart
              enough to indirectly address it,but some how got it out of the court file,
              because after rendering a decision, these issues were not addressed,and there
              was no recording of the proceedings.Phonetic spelling is fine, I live in a
              state that has a very high rate of illiteracy
              and it is even prevalent in the State Courts in SC, even exhibited by the
              officers of our courts. Phonetic spelling is fine.I am going to do a spell
              check now.It may be they do not recognize the US Govt in SC, they only like
              to see how much pork they can get from Washington.For a long time the balance
              of payments favored SC, more coming from Washington than going to Washington
              which is probably due to the 1870's reconstruction and Shermans matches.So I
              find some humor in such a minor error, which phonetically I got the meaning,
              when in a much more serious setting ,they may have spelled things correctly ,
              but should have really been concerned with understanding ,pursuing and
              correcting rather than obstructing, and in escence trying to conceal their
              large error instead of admitting such and correcting such.