Re: Apocryphal tressel crossings

  • wh_keene
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 31, 2002
      --- In civilwarwest@y..., Aurelie1999@a... wrote:

      > In a message dated 7/31/02 2:12:14 AM, fishx111@c... writes:
      >
      > << But I would think
      > that this trick would be taught in Cavalry school and be widely
      known.

      > James: A class in horsemanship was added to the curriculum at West
      Point
      > IIRC in Grant's second year 1840. However, cavalry tactics were
      not taught
      > until after the CW, meaning there was no cavalry school. It was an
      > under-fire OJT classroom for developing and learning cavalry
      tactics and for
      > passing on the tricks of the trade.
      >
      > Connie Boone

      Considering that there were no RR bridges in existence in the U.S.
      until the early 1830s and that school curriculums can be notoriously
      slow to change, it would not suprise me if no thought had been given
      at West Point on how to cross a RR bridge on horseback even if there
      had been a cavalry school at the time most of the future civil war
      generals attended.