Re: Sherman's Insubordination at Chattanooga, and Mr. Eppe...

  • dmsmith001
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31 4:31 AM
      --- In civilwarwest@y..., Jfepperson@a... wrote:
      > In a message dated 7/30/2002 10:13:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      > dmsmith001@y... writes:
      >
      > > Thank God there are many Dave Smith's out there, so obviously
      > > Mr. Epperson wasn't referring to me.
      >
      > Ah, Davey me boy, 'twas you I had in mind all along. Wasn't it you
      > who told me once about Smith's division crossing Smith's bridge to
      > attack Smith at Chattanooga? And wasn't this on Grant's left
      > flank?

      Yes, indeedy, but it was the implication that one of my namesakes
      wasn't completely, totally 110 per cent successful that has my shorts
      tied up in knots ... :-)

      > > And were he so intending, he must have been lying, because
      > > everyone knows my areas of expertise in logistics lie with
      > breweries, not distilleries.
      >
      > You've done well providing me with bourbon on my stops in northern
      > Kentucky, for which I have always been properly grateful.

      But I think you mistake mere logistical competence for expertise; I
      would hate, years from now, for someone to read the archives of this
      group and think I (or you, for that matter) claimed I was such an
      expert. :-)

      ObCivilWar: The "Smith" reference Jim refers to was a portion of a
      talk made by Michael Hughes. See if you know:

      "Name the only battle in which Smith and Smith, supported by Smith,
      with Smith in reserve, attacked Smith's bridge to attack Smith."

      Dave

      Dave Smith
      Villa Hills, KY