The Tennessee River

  • josepharose
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 30, 2002
      Mr. Coy:

      In partial answer to your question concerning the state of the
      Tennessee River, Hurlbut wrote to Halleck on October 20, 1863
      that, "General Sherman will have two division at or near Tuscumbia
      to-day. The Tennessee is rising; ford[s] are bad, and growing
      worse." If he's speaking of the river near Sherman, then it is quite
      likely that the river was high at Chattanooga several days earlier.

      Joseph

      --- In civilwarwest@y..., thecoys@k... wrote:
      > I know that it is improper to answer a question with a
      question.....but I will
      > anyway. :) I do not expect an response at this time...just
      something to think
      > about. The question was/is asked, "why did it take so long?" My
      question or
      > questions in response are: 1) Why would one think it took so long?
      and 2) What