Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Steedman & Spears GARFIELD

  • Thomas A Hardy
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 30, 2002
      Garfield was also an experienced commander. He commanded the 20th
      brigade in Buell's Army of the Ohio and served in the Cumberland Gap
      campaign, and also at Shiloh. Not sure where/how he was selected for
      staff work, but he was an effective chief of staff to Rosecrans, by most
      accounts.

      TH

      On Fri, 26 Jul 2002 13:54:06 EDT fishx111@... writes:
      > IS that JAMES GARFIELD? BOrn in ORANGE (Cuyahoga CO) educated in
      > Geauga CO,
      > OH, and then became president, and assasinated in office?I have the
      > same
      > location of birth and education, but it ends there.Garfield was by
      > all
      > accounts I have heard a very good person, he wanted to field command
      > ,but
      > made a staff officer. JAMES
      >
      > What is your take on GArfield, a staff officer, wo a field
      > command.Would that
      > be like Eisenhower?No field command per se, but a planner and
      > executor of
      > 6/6/44.
      >
      > JAMES

      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!