[civilwarwest] Re: Was it possible for the Confederacy to avoid losing the we...

  • MDlongrang@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 17, 1999
      I question whether the Western Army could have prevailed in the long run.
      However there were some missed opportunities early on, as in Ft. Donalson
      (sp?), or later at Vicksburg and Nashville when the Federals were a bit slow
      to initially move. I think Forrest did rather well with his recruiting
      forays and the capture of supplies. Had Forrest or even Cleburne been given
      a greater opportunity to conduct offensive action(s) things might have been
      different. What would have happened if Bragg had been relieved and a more
      able Confederate commander been in place? Would the Federal's have had to
      commit more forces to the West. What then, the effect on the Army of the
      Potomac?
    • MDlongrang@aol.com