[civilwarwest] War in Ky

  • cob2mo@clas.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 8 8:03 PM
      It made no difference who "invaded" Kentucky, she was destined to be
      brought into the war. I understand the reason for not wanting to
      "first" But like MIssouri, Kentucky was nessary for the war effort for
      both sides. But the population was mostly pro southern and the north
      didn't want to alienate it's people, unlike Missouri Lyon didn't care
      who he made mad. All he wanted was to ensure that Missouri would stay
      in the Union at all cost. Cob2mo
    • The Coys
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 8 9:52 PM
        I would be interested in seeing the numbers that indicate Kentucky being
        'mostly pro-southern'. Braxton Bragg and Kirby Smith did not find this to be
        true in 1862. I would definitely agree that it was sharply divided but
        mostly one way or another would be tough to prove. :)

        Kevin S. Coy

      • jones@pitton.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 9 6:22 AM
          I too would be interested in seeing those numbers. IIRC there is
          mention of numbers in the Lincoln book by Donald which I'm currently
          reading. It does at least make reference to his perceptions about how
          the loyalties were running at that time in KY. I'll give that a look
          later tonight and get back on it.

          Best regards.

          Pat

          P.S. Sure is great to see this group up and running! Many thanks for
          getting it moving shotgun! ;)

        • jones@pitton.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 9 6:22 AM