Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Wauhatchie Line Debacle Numbers

  • fishx111@cs.com
    Message 1 of 267 , Jul 22 6:27 AM
      JOE:

      The Civil War Battlefield Guide lists the following:

      Chickamauga Union 62,000
      CSA 65,000

      Chatanooga Union 70,000
      CSA 50,000

      Between Chicamauga and Chatanooga Longstreet took 15,0000 to Knoxville.
      So Joes numbers are in the ballpark.

      Dave had 12,000 for one another source I looked at had 16,000... So a lot of
      numbers used are educated guesstimates. Because you can have total ,less not
      ready for duty =
      effectives.So a lot of the #s may not be consistent, but I am sure the
      particular historian could justify his source, unless it is Tommy Enron or
      ARthur Andersen. You have to remember too , a lot of the source may be
      government numbers and in this era the US #s are probably closer than the CSA
      #s .. But they are still government #s.

      JAMES
    • Aurelie1999@aol.com
      Message 267 of 267 , Aug 8, 2002
        In a message dated 8/8/02 4:25:02 PM, josepharose@... writes:

        << Now, which of the two men, Wood or Grant, had been bending the truth
        (if not breaking it)? I think that the evidence heavily points to
        Grant. Because I think that he did so, I question his integrity,
        here and elsewhere. >>

        Mr. Rose,

        It appears to me that you cherry pick data to support your presumption that
        Grant was a worthless fool. Grant's contemporaries - even enemies - praised
        his integrity to the max. So how come that by standing in the dim hindsight
        of 150 years you are able to see what they did not see?

        Finally please explain why Thomas is incapable of standing on his own merit
        and can only be praised by faulting Grant?

        Connie Boone