Value of Groups Like These

  • dmsmith001
    Message 1 of 87 , Jul 19 3:56 AM
      I hope Shotgun will endulge me a moment.

      I made a comment a few posts ago about my belief that the true value
      of groups like these is that they *do* often bring together divergent
      opinions about people and events, and provide a forum for their
      expression.

      Here, and in other groups, there are subjects about which I've
      learned a ton that absent these forums, I'd probably never have the
      detail or understanding I have today. Jim Epperson, for example, can
      vouch for the professional and spirited arguments in the past on
      Usenet regarding the Freedmen's Bureau, and the willingness of two
      posters to slug it out, toe to toe, left me with a much broader
      understanding than I ever walked in with.

      I have two questions I'd like considered, insofar as you want to
      respond:

      1) Within this forum, what person or subject has been increased
      dramatically since participating? It doesn't have to be because
      another poster provided the details for you, but could also well be
      that a discussion caused you to go out and do research you wouldn't
      have otherwise have done.

      and

      2) Based on the discussions here (and elsewhere, if you will), what
      person or subject's understanding has changed to a large extent based
      on the discussions here? As a personal example, since I first
      started dealing with these groups, my opinion of Joe Johnston's
      personality and military abilities has shifted in an adverse
      direction, Steven Newton and Wayne Bengston's efforts
      notwithstanding. :-)

      Others that have shifted, to some degree, include US Grant, George
      Thomas, Stonewall Jackson, and JB Hood.

      Thanks,

      Dave

      Dave Smith
      Villa Hills, KY
    • fishx111@cs.com
      Message 87 of 87 , Aug 1, 2002
        CARL:

        Yes they did use a whistle in WWI.Radios were not invented or practcal until
        the late 20s.One possible commo solution could be hand signals , but this
        would limit to line of sight.They did have land lines in WWI. The tank was
        the answer to auto weapon amd trench.I am surprised no one tried to use an
        armored wagon or an attemot at one for a charge in the ACW..Especially the
        North. After the horses get killed you advance from that point.Of course
        maybe a horse was more valuable than a man on the field of battle.I enjoyed
        Petes and your analysis.

        James