"Shrouds of Glory"

  • jackehmer
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 13, 2002
      I am currently reading "Shrouds of Glory" by Winston Groom. It covers
      the battles of Spring Hill, Franklin, and Nashville. I am curious if
      anyone has read it and what their opinion of the book is. I am not
      too impressed with it.

      Jack Ehmer
    • basecat1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 13, 2002
        In a message dated 7/13/2002 3:09:57 PM Central Daylight Time, ohio11thcavalry@... writes:

        I am currently reading "Shrouds of Glory" by Winston Groom. It covers
        the battles of Spring Hill, Franklin, and Nashville. I am curious if
        anyone has read it and what their opinion of the book is. I am not
        too impressed with it.

        Jack Ehmer

        Hey Jack,

        Glad to see you survived your trek thru Virginia.:)  As for the book, I read it a couple of years ago, and thought it was OK, but nothing to get excited about.  Nothing special, and noticed some mistakes as well. I never would have thought Groom would write a book on the CW, but then again, Gump is named after Nathan Bedford Forrest. :)

        Take Care.

        Regards from the Garden State,

        Steve Basic

      • hartshje
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 13, 2002
          --- In civilwarwest@y..., "jackehmer" <ohio11thcavalry@a...> wrote:
          > I am currently reading "Shrouds of Glory" by Winston Groom. It
          > covers the battles of Spring Hill, Franklin, and Nashville. I am
          > curious if anyone has read it and what their opinion of the book
          > is. I am not too impressed with it.
          >
          > Jack Ehmer

          Jack,

          I have read the book, and personally I thought it was quite good,
          except I didn't like the way Groom jumped around to different time
          frames, which I though made it harder to keep simultaneous events in
          order. I did think it was historically pretty accurate. If there
          were mistakes in there, I don't know what they are. It's the only
          book I've read so far that deals just with this specific campaign, so
          I really don't have an apples-to-apples comparison. If you were not
          too impressed by it, I would like to know why? Also, if anyone else
          has read it and knows where it is inaccurate, I would also like to be
          made aware of those things too.

          Best Regards,
          Joe H.
        • basecat1@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 13, 2002
            In a message dated 7/13/2002 11:41:59 PM Central Daylight Time, Hartshje@... writes:

            Jack,

            I have read the book, and personally I thought it was quite good,
            except I didn't like the way Groom jumped around to different time
            frames, which I though made it harder to keep simultaneous events in
            order.  I did think it was historically pretty accurate.  If there
            were mistakes in there, I don't know what they are.  It's the only
            book I've read so far that deals just with this specific campaign, so
            I really don't have an apples-to-apples comparison.  If you were not
            too impressed by it, I would like to know why?  Also, if anyone else
            has read it and knows where it is inaccurate, I would also like to be
            made aware of those things too.

            Best Regards,
            Joe H.

            Joe,

            Mistakes I saw were mostly names spelled wrong etc...Has been a few years since I read the book...I liked it ...but look at it as an appetizer...and want to delve into the subject more.  Will say this about Groom...He writes very well...and agree with you..No need to jump around as the book did.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 14, 2002
              Steve,

              Thanks for your help on planning my trip. I only accomplished about
              half of what I wanted to but it was worth it.

              I wonder who Groom wrote this book for. The first half of the book
              was very general background info that was totally unnecessary for a
              student of the Civil War. This is were I caught the most mistakes
              such as "Shoes causing the Battle of Gettysburg", referring
              to "Prince John" Magruder as Jeb Magruder, and saying that Sherman
              served in Mexico during the Mexican War.

              The second half of the book is much better with the usual type of
              semi-detailed battle info that we are used to. My biggest complaint
              is his obvious pro-Thomas, Anti-Grant/Sherman/Schofield bias. That is
              strictly my opinion, so don't anybody even think once about starting
              that thread again.

              Again, I wonder who Groom wrote the book for. If you are going to do
              a Civil War book without footnotes, your name had better be Shelby
              Foote.

              Joe, I hope that answers your questions, also.

              Jack Ehmer

              --- In civilwarwest@y..., basecat1@a... wrote:
              > In a message dated 7/13/2002 3:09:57 PM Central Daylight Time,
              > ohio11thcavalry@a... writes:
              >

              > > I am currently reading "Shrouds of Glory" by Winston Groom. It
              covers
              > > the battles of Spring Hill, Franklin, and Nashville. I am curious
              if
              > > anyone has read it and what their opinion of the book is. I am
              not
              > > too impressed with it.
              > >
              > > Jack Ehmer
              > >

              > Hey Jack,
              >
              > Glad to see you survived your trek thru Virginia.:) As for the
              book, I read
              > it a couple of years ago, and thought it was OK, but nothing to get
              excited
              > about. Nothing special, and noticed some mistakes as well. I never
              would
              > have thought Groom would write a book on the CW, but then again,
              Gump is
              > named after Nathan Bedford Forrest. :)
              >
              > Take Care.
              >
              > Regards from the Garden State,
              >
              > Steve Basic
            • aot1952
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 14, 2002
                "jackehmer" wrote:
                ....If you are going to do a Civil War book without footnotes, your
                name had better be Shelby Foote."

                Dear Jack-
                Or be the author of "Forrest Grump"! For about a year Groom was the
                hottest property going among the "I will buy who is hot crowd." The
                publisher would have printed anything he signed. I agree his book is
                a 'fair' treatment of a fascinating true event. It was just me but I
                think Wiley Sword's "Embrace an Angry Wind" ( changed to "The
                Confederacy's Last Hurrah" in second printing) is a much better read--
                a perfect example of fact being better than fiction.
                Wakefield

              • jackehmer
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 14, 2002
                  Steve (Wakefield),

                  Haven't read "Last Hurrah" yet, but I have liked everthing that I
                  have read by Wiley Sword.

                  Missed you at Antietam; can't understand why you would prefer a trip
                  to Paris instead.

                  Jack

                • hartshje
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 14, 2002
                    --- In civilwarwest@y..., "jackehmer" <ohio11thcavalry@a...> wrote:

                    > I wonder who Groom wrote this book for. The first half of the book
                    > was very general background info that was totally unnecessary for a
                    > student of the Civil War. This is were I caught the most mistakes
                    > such as "Shoes causing the Battle of Gettysburg", referring
                    > to "Prince John" Magruder as Jeb Magruder, and saying that Sherman
                    > served in Mexico during the Mexican War.
                    >
                    > The second half of the book is much better with the usual type of
                    > semi-detailed battle info that we are used to. My biggest complaint
                    > is his obvious pro-Thomas, Anti-Grant/Sherman/Schofield bias. That
                    > is strictly my opinion, so don't anybody even think once about
                    > starting that thread again.
                    >
                    > Again, I wonder who Groom wrote the book for. If you are going to
                    > do a Civil War book without footnotes, your name had better be
                    > Shelby Foote.
                    >
                    > Joe, I hope that answers your questions, also.
                    >
                    > Jack Ehmer

                    Jack,

                    Thanks! Points taken. It's been two years since I read this book,
                    so I will go back through it and find these, and see if I can pick up
                    on the bias you noted.

                    Joe H.
                  • parrotheaddan2000
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 15, 2002
                      I must agree with any recommedation to read "Last Hurrah".
                      There is an extremely good discussion of the Battles for Spring Hill
                      and Franklin. Sword, has not always been one of my favorites, but
                      this work is exceptional.----Dan