(no subject)

  • Aurelie1999@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 13, 2002
      Somehow we lost our footing in our discussion of Rosecrans with the threads
      unraveling. Too bad, it was productive in many ways. Great opportunity for
      zeroing in on one narrow aspect and turn it inside out -- upside down for a
      really good look. I spent the last hour or so reading the posts and tried to
      make sense of the ripples and whirlpools where they went and what they
      produced. Overall not bad IMHO.

      Kevin Coy who has studied Rosecrans for several years and is in the process
      of fund raising for a statue to Ole Rosey believes that Rosecrans was a man
      who made mistakes - they all did - but who deserves both recognition and
      respect for his many talents and most of all for his decency. I personally
      agree. One thing I appreciate about Ole Rosy was his unbreakable loyalty to
      both Lincoln and the Union. In fact, we should all appreciate that loyalty.

      I think that Rosy comes as close to Will's "tragic hero" as possible. He had
      all the talent and flair, the personality and the determination to become
      great. Yet in the wacky landscape of CW military culture with its erratic
      ebbs and flows as well the constantly evolving and flowing events with the
      sharp twists in goals both short term and long range, Rosecrans' particular
      combination of personality, methods and genius was sometimes a near miss,
      sometimes on target and sometimes far off the mark. Overall he contributed
      much, blew a few, but did his job with honesty and integrity. For whatever
      it's worth!

      Connie