Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Admiral DuPont

  • David Kowalski
    Message 1 of 101 , Jul 1, 2002

      DuPont's ancestor founded the chemical company.  His descendants made it larger.  For many years, the company's largest customer was the US Navy.  They made blasting powder.  Besides chemicals, the DuPonts invented modern financial management.  This product was exported to General Motors (resued by the DuPonts in the 1920's) and, strangely enough to Japan.

      Many socially prominent families sent family members to West Point and Annapolis in the pre-CW days.

        wh_keene <wh_keene@...> wrote:

      I think Dupont died in 65.

      In the on going tension between the proponents of the Western Theater
      (us) and the proponents of the VIrginia theater, the contribution of
      the Atlantic coast operations are sometimes forgotten.  This was were
      Dupont made a name for himself.  He also (I think) distinguished
      himself in the service prior to the war.

      His decendents did something that gave them political power: they
      formed a large chemical company.

      Do You Yahoo!?

    • David Kowalski
      Message 101 of 101 , Jul 1, 2002

          wh_keene <wh_keene@...> wrote:

        I think Dupont died in 65.

        In the on going tension between the proponents of the Western Theater
        (us) and the proponents of the VIrginia theater, the contribution of
        the Atlantic coast operations are sometimes forgotten.  This was were
        Dupont made a name for himself.  He also (I think) distinguished
        himself in the service prior to the war.

        His decendents did something that gave them political power: they
        formed a large chemical company.

        --- In civilwarwest@y..., Carl Williams <carlw4514@y...> wrote:
        > You are correct. I always wondered, Did Dupont do
        > something else -- post ACW -- that gave him
        > hob-nobbing rights amongst these others?
        > --- bobaldrich2001 <aldrichr@d...> wrote:
        > > And here in Washington, DC we have:
        > >
        > > Dupont Circle
        > > Farragut Square
        > > Logan Circle
        > > McPherson Square
        > > Thomas Circle
        > > Sheridan Circle
        > >
        > > Fortunately there are statues to remind you who they
        > > were . . . .
        > >
        > > Bob A.
        > >
        > > --- In civilwarwest@y..., "wh_keene" <wh_keene@y...>
        > > wrote:
        > > > To a certain degree I imagine Grant and Sherman
        > > are recognized
        > > names,
        > > > but on a regular basis I pass Ord Street and
        > > almost every time I
        > > > start to wonder if any of the other motorists has
        > > a clue about who
        > > it
        > > > was named for...

        > > Eastern Standard

        > > such as
        > > far as I
        > > the
        > > where the street
        > > > names were Stanton, Sheridan, Grant, Sherman, and
        > > Federal.

        Do You Yahoo!?